Judo/Judo principles vs edged weapons?

Hello Mr. Ellis. Thank you very much for your time. My question is kinda a bit more off to the martial art side of judo than the competitive side so sorry if it's a bit winded......

First of all, I definitely agree that the first line against any weapons requires you to not be there in the first place or if desperate, gain as much of distance and time. Run as soon as possible. Awareness, avoidance, survival comes before fighting.

Now I did some research on old Kodokan Judo and to quote Jigoro Kano directly from 'The Policy of Kodokan-Collection against strikes seems to be

" approach in a manner to defend yourself against the opponent’s stab and kick." Which suggests that judo does require footwork and evasion to off balance and attack the attack instead of deflections or blockings which helps but is not the main aim.

I have also researched on Kyuzo Mifune and to quote him from his writings "
“Almost all ancient schools of jujutsu have tekubi-waza
(wrist techniques: kote-gaeshi, kote-hineri, etc.), and atemi-waza
(striking and kicking techniques) as well" that to defend against such attacks ideally by "applying a leg or hip throw upon the moment of contact" before they even had time to mess with the in-fighting joint locks and strikes.

I was wondering if the same movements can be applied and practiced on edged weapons.

Or as both masters put it "you step forward
to his right side whilst you pull the opponent’s right wrist or
sleeve. In this case, the opponent can’t attack you because his
right hand is controlled by the grabbing.The opponent’s
left hand is free to attack, but it is far to reach you so that you are in little danger."

While I do agree with the majority of it. There's certain things I just don't want to use against an edged weapon. Namely the strategy of 'grabbing,' seems to be a debate for most experts in that in knife attacks or violent situations, they just cannot effectively grab onto the armed limb or the attacker could switch knife to the other hand. The other thing I don't quite agree with is if you are truely safe from an edged weapon even if that hand is a 'little too far to reach you.' As edged weapon rely on pressure more than kinetic energy, would it still inflict stab injuries regardless.

So what's your opinion on the evasion and off balance tactics in that type of situation please.

Also do you feel that the Kime no Kata and Goshin Jutsu are a bit flawed in that they are now-a-days rote learned like a dance instead of a full universally applicable study?

Thanks for your support. All the best.

As a Judoka since 1985 and a police officer for many years, when the subject of facing a edge weapon comes up....the unwritten rule for police officers is DON'T LET A SUBJECT ARMED WITH A EDGED WEAPON ANY CLOSER THAT 21 FT. If you are in a position where the subject is arms length away, take the mindset that you are going to bleed somehow. BUT, you must use every possible technique you can muster to put him down. Nothing easy, nothing fancy, just put him down. Judo does not have any strikes or kicks in the main body of techniques. Wrist techniques and take downs and control techniques yes. The only way Judo is going to benifit you is if you can get inside and upclose to be able to put them down as quickly and HARD as possible.
Unless you continiously practice for this possibility (on the mats with rubber knives) you are not going to be able to alter your training that doesn't take that situation on.
I'm sure you know that how you practice is how you are going to react.Practice, practice & practice some more with edged weapon partners.
I have watched the Isreal martial art of Krav Magra, this is a combination of many martial arts and designed for facing armed subjects. This is a very interesting martial art and is very effective as they make a attacker feel that they have made contact with a buzz saw.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific pertaining to Judo in that situation.

# 1 rule would be RUN if possible.

Tim J. Kader

Kodakon Judo 2nd degree black (Nidan), Sport Judo, not into competition. Life member United States Judo Assoc. Been in JUDO since 1983.