Judo/Questions Answered by Expert Sammi Harrelson

SubjectDate Asked
Judo principles vs edged weapons?5/16/2014
  Q: Harrelson. Thank you very much for your time. My question is kinda a bit more off to the martial art ...
  A: So sorry this took so long, I was gone over the weekend and when I got back I tired 3 times to ...
shoes12/4/2010
  Q: I never understood why judo is practiced barefoot. Sambo, wrestling and even boxing practioners wear ...
  A: Your welcome Danny; the ironic thing is I've seen more people get their toes hurt in wrestling and ...
Competing9/20/2010
  Q: Hi can I compete in regional and national tournaments if im not a citizen of the US or can I just ...
  A: Good question and I'm not real sure. First are you a member of a judo club in the States? If so and ...
Brazillian Jiu Jitsu11/11/2009
  Q: I would like to learn this art. Is it all possible in letting me know what are the strategies and ...
  A: If you have any back ground in Judo or Kickboxing you already have a good start. Jujitsu is sort of ...
judo & Trad. Jujitsu6/10/2009
  Q: Assuming all instructors are of a high quality, which of these combinations do you feel is most ...
  A: Sorry it took a couple of days to get to your question, I've been busy taking care of the grand ...
judo6/6/2009
  Q: Why is America always closer to LAST place in World standings ?
  A: That's a complex question. One of the main reasons is every judo player has to pay for his training. ...
competition rules5/19/2009
  Q: Is pushing allowed in Judo competitions? And do you get points if your opponent falls over as a ...
  A: That's sort of a tough question, if you just walk up and shove, no that's not allowed, but if you ...
Woman teacher3/27/2009
  Q: estoy proximo a recibir mi Black Belt y hago la siguiente consulta. ¿Puede ser cierto que esta ...
  A: Iam no muy seguro de lo que me está preguntando? ¿Me puede dar un poco más de información, no estoy ...
Throwing Counters3/22/2009
  Q: I would like to thank you once again for the prompt and helpful answer you have given me back in ...
  A: glad to hear your enjoying your self with judo. It really grows on you doesn't it? Now your ...
Judo School or Club Recommendation2/9/2009
  Q: Greetings Sensei Harrelson, I am a 36 year old husband and father of three. I have studied Judo at ...
  A: You're right our schools here in KC, Mo is more on the competative track. At least the Welcome Mat ...
black belt7/25/2008
  Q: how can i appear for balck belt exam?
  A: I need to ask you why you would give me a low rating when I asked you in my reply to your question ...
Hi7/10/2008
  Q: I want to know if traditional jujitsu involves deadly pressure like Dim mak?.?
  A: I would guess that some trad clubs may have this ours does not. Let me ask you this do you feel you ...
Hi7/3/2008
  Q: I would like to know if traditional jujutsu has some neck breaking techniques?and is ninjutsu origin ...
  A: Not real sure about ninjutsu,lets look on the Internet: The History of Ninjitsu Ninjitsu began more ...
Hi6/30/2008
  Q: What are the similarities and differences of traditional jujitsu and combat jujitsu?is combat ...
  A: A lot of traditional jujitsu clubs train only for the sake of training. they rarely have competition ...
Hi6/29/2008
  Q: Does traditional jujitsu involves nerves attacks and pressure points?And is it a deadly martial ...
  A: Yes it can involve pressure points which is the nerve points. Jujitsu can be a deadly art if pushed ...
Judo for kids6/23/2008
  Q: Sammi, I was wondering if you could help me with some questions that I have about Judo. I have a ...
  A: I felt the same way when my son was twelve and I was looking for a sport for him. I chose judo ...
Hi6/11/2008
  Q: My friend who does modern jujitsu told me that mordern jj have techniques without harming the ...
  A: Let me see if I understand the question. Mainly your asking does traditional jujitsu have more ...
Hi6/7/2008
  Q: I am actually a yellow belt in traditional jujutsu and i want to know if jujutsu is effective on the ...
  A: For the most part, most jujitsu clubs do not include weapons. Jujitsu is more throws, joint locks, ...
shoulder injury6/1/2008
  Q: i made a mistake of blocking with my elbow when my opponent went for a throw. it was 90 degrees, the ...
  A: First off did you see a doctor or go to the emerg. room and have it x-rayed? When I hurt my shoulder ...
judo or jujitsu?5/6/2008
  Q: which in your highly regarded opinion would be the better art to take, judo or jujitsu? i'm 60 yrs. ...
  A: Well that's a toughy. You see judo comes from jujitsu. Judo just uses the throws, pins, armlocks, ...
judo5/6/2008
  Q: How is Judo important in the world today? How is is important in Japan? What religion that judo ...
  A: Sorry I hope you have not been waiting too long for an answer I only just found your questions on ...
Judo1/20/2008
  Q: my name is Jason and I have a question to ask you. Can Judo be used in Mixed Martial Arts such as ...
  A: If you watch UFC, you'll see judo being used all the time. Many of the fighters are judo and jujitsu ...
Hello could you assist me1/10/2008
  Q: but as Ive learnt if you ever get on the ground Jujitsu is a must have I dont have that much money ...
  A: Okay, you live out in the country in the State of Kentucky, is this right? Now you said you take ...
judo throw11/27/2007
  Q: Could you please tell me why do a throw to the Left OR to the Right ?
  A: Something crazy is going on with this site, it's acting up evertime I go to spell check and hit the ...
Help me please9/3/2007
  Q: I have been taking Kenpo Karate in Colorado, I am not in any advanced ranks or anything, but when I ...
  A: I'd stay away from this place but I know that's not an options for you. I was just thinking I should ...
re: escapes8/9/2007
  Q: im 14 yrs old and have been training for 4 yrs in various diff. martial arts , i would like to learn ...
  A: Can you give me a little more details.First I assume you are talking about when someone is behind ...
Technique vs. Time spent training7/3/2007
  Q: I started training about two months ago at a local Brazilizn jiujitsu school after 1 month and doing ...
  A: Yes you were very lucky to find this class. That's where I started my judo at the parks and rec ...
Jujitsu6/27/2007
  Q: Ok so i was wondering if you could tell me the diffrences between judo and jujitsu i know you ...
  A: Actually I've only had this question I think twice. So which one is better for your wrestling, both ...
judo coaching6/18/2007
  Q: my name is gen and recently the sensei of our is travelling overseas and has left me in charge of ...
  A: First relax take a big breath. How long will your coach be gone. Second I assume there is a set of ...
understanding the difrence3/15/2007
  Q: , im in Australia. im really wondering wat to do,, brazilian Ju-Jitsu or Judo... can u tell me the ...
  A: Let's see if I can help you. First judo was founded by Dr. Jigaro Kano. He was a doctor of ...
how can i withstand2/7/2007
  Q: i am 28yrs old martial artist.Right now i am not in practise from last 2 yrs.My problem is (though i ...
  A: I know how you feel, I felt the same way at first when I started judo. I found the more I learned ...
Promotion in Judo12/28/2006
  Q: I am presently in Belize, Central America but I do know Kansas City and Topeka very well. I actually ...
  A: Great question, I can give you a brief run down on our promotion rules. For junior those 18 and ...
Promotion in Judo11/27/2006
  Q: I am a second degree nidan in judo,We are hoping to start a judo club here in McPherson KS. How do ...
  A: I'm not real sure,it might be John Leighty. So I asked my coach. I just emailed my head judo coach ...
soft arts10/9/2006
  Q: What is the difference between Jujutsu, judo, aikido, aiki jujutsu, daito ryu, and daito ryo daito ...
  A: What I've found so far it seems aiki jujutsu and daito jujutsu and aikido are basiclly the same or ...
Kansas City Judo9/22/2006
  Q: My family and I recently moved from Colorado to Kansas City, MO. My husband is trying to find a ...
  A: Just thought I'd check to see if you contacted Steve Scott to find out about judo for your family? ...
I would like to know..9/21/2006
  Q: please show me in step by step and pictures how to get out and do these holds thanks ...
  A: I will do my best to help you out. First any choke that is applied using your arms or hands or the ...
what type of martial art to choose8/29/2006
  Q: What kind of martial art would be best for me if I want learn self-defense like jujitsu but my main ...
  A: I think both judo and jujitsu are great for both defense and letting your anger out. I've always ...
reaction time7/24/2006
  Q: I am 60 years old. I just started judo last November and have competed in 4 meets. I have a problem ...
  A: I'm very impressed. There are very few if anyone I know of your age just starting judo. I was 34 and ...
School Interventions3/16/2006
  Q: I am a 14 yo girl, judo brown belt, with some jujitsu also. My question relates to using my skills ...
  A: Boy this is a real tough question. I'm not only a Judo coach, but I'm also an educator. So even as ...
Steve Scott...10/4/2005
  Q: I was very pleased to see you studied with Steve and Becky. I too am a member of the clan. I have ...
  A: Hey Allen, This is Sandi, yes I'm still in the area,I've been with them since '84' and try to get up ...
Does Judo have Takedowns other then Throwing Techniques?9/28/2005
  Q: does Judo have Takedowns other then Throwing Techniques? Somebody told me that Judo has sweeps as a ...
  A: Yes judo is very slimiar to wrestling as far as throws and take downs. We have leg sweeps , leg ...
Specific differences between Judo and Jujitsu9/24/2005
  Q: I was wondering what exactly is the difference between Judo and Jujitsu (however it's spelled do to ...
  A: You basicly have the idea. Judo was derived from jujitsu. Dr. Kano the founder of judo was a student ...
I need help...4/27/2005
  Q: my name is Sam, I have a bit of a problem and I do hope you can offer some advice to me at least. I ...
  A: Man your in a real pickle. What town do you live in and is there no law enforcement you can go to. I ...
Training In Pain4/24/2005
  Q: I am 42 years and I just started training in judo.The problem is that every time I get a couple ...
  A: Geting old sucks, I know I'm 55. First have you seen a Doc about your neck pain and if not has it ...
Describe Judo2/1/2005
  Q: Could you describe Judo for me? I really would like to know about it...
  A: I would be very happy to describe the sport of judo to you. To begin with, do not confuse judo with ...
Tricks for Competition1/29/2005
  Q: For the purpose of background, I just earned my second degree brown belt following a long absence ...
  A: Good to see that your still hanging in there. I had to quit competion when I was about your age due ...
grappling8/24/2004
  Q: does jujitsu have a lot of grappling ps. what do you reccomend judo or jujitsu
  A: Yes both jujitsu and judo have a lot of grappling. As far as which do I reccomend, this will depend ...
Beginning judo7/25/2004
  Q: At 35 is it too old to start judo;At this age if you are in decent shape,and you attend class ...
  A: No 35 is not too old I was 34 and a female with two kids. It took me two years to recieve my first ...
Things that your life and art have taught you4/13/2004
  Q: As you are an expert in the martial arts, I would be grateful to receive some of your wisdom and ...
  A: Sorry it took a couple of days to get to your question. Just been real busy with the grandbabies. ...
Ne-waza entry / Sombo3/13/2004
  Q: I love groundwork and I train in both Judo and BJJ. I was hoping you could tell me strategies for ...
  A: Your a judo player after my own heart. Matwork is my favorite way to win also. Yes you do have to be ...
judo for law enforcement9/3/2001
  Q: I'm a police officer and interested in taking up a martial art (both for the physical conditioning ...
  A: Judo is a sport but it also a very good self-defense and has combat skills very similar to the ...
how do you put someone into...7/30/2001
  Q: how do you put someone into "the guard"
  A: I'm Sammi, Okay lets see if I can help you. Sorry it took a couple of days to reply, but I've been ...
what body parts are chokes...4/8/2001
  Q: what body parts are chokes done with?
  A: Okay if i understand the question you want to know what parts of your body can you use to apply the ...
principles of Judo and Jiu-Jistu1/1/2001
  Q: I've been looking into many forms of martial arts as i'm trying to select another to train under ...
  A: Let's see if I can answer your question. Judo was developed from Jujitsu and uses throws, pins, ...
english translation for locks and holds8/31/2000
  Q: I have three locks and three holds that I would like the english translation for. Holds yoko shiho ...
  A: Yoko is side quarter lock: Kami is upper quarters lock ushiro kesa depends if you are facing your ...
How to handle an awkward situation7/19/2000
  Q: I am 47 years old. I wanted to learn judo and enrolled in a class. Before long after practicing ...
  A: I'm very sorry to hear that you had a bad experience in class. Was the black belt that threw you an ...

All Questions in This Category

Judo

Sammi Harrelson

Top Expert on this page