Judo/Questions Answered by Expert Neil Ohlenkamp

SubjectDate Asked
Making throws work at a longer distance10/4/2015
  Q: Ohlenkamp Thank you very much for your time, I am sorry if this question is a bit out of your ...
  A: As you noted, there is no way to tell from the video exactly what he is doing with his lower body, ...
Hip replacement and judo8/8/2015
  Q: Greetings Sensei Ohlenkamp, I am 55 and have trained various martial arts since 1973. I am ...
  A: I have had 3 different different types of hip prosthesis, and am happy to share what I know. As far ...
Atemi waza in Judo7/23/2015
  Q: Mr. Ohlenkamp, I would like to know how should I practice the atemi waza in judo. We practice atemi ...
  A: Atemi waza in judo is generally only practiced in kata and for self defense as you are doing. There ...
Throw identification?5/23/2015
  Q: Ohlenkamp. Thanks for your time. I have stumbled across this throw in an old text-book. It seems a ...
  A: I would classify this technique as a left side osoto otoshi. While osoto otoshi is usually applied ...
Tai sabaki in judo?10/28/2014
  Q: Ohlenkamps, thank you for your time first of all, itís very grateful to have senior judokaís ...
  A: Tai sabaki is an often overlooked element that is crucial to success in applying judo throwing ...
Black Belt7/31/2014
  Q: I've been training for my Black Belt in Canada. They will call out 3 moves from the following: ...
  A: There are online resources that can help you, as well as books of course. Judoinfo.com has images of ...
How to counter a neck crank.7/11/2013
  Q: Ohlenkamp. It's a pleasure to be able to ask you a question, so thank you. My question is that in ...
  A: A neck crank is not really that easy to apply from that position. If I am doing nami juji jime ...
pain in hip6/15/2013
  Q: I love martial arts especially Judo but this problem still comes up in the front of my hip joints. ...
  A: Of course, it is impossible to diagnose your specific problem enough to be sure what the pain comes ...
Uchi Mata1/29/2013
  Q: great name by the way :) I was wondering why uchi mata is such a difficult technique? Being so ...
  A: I don't think uchimata is such a difficult technique. It is usually taught after harai goshi and ...
judo or bjj1/1/2013
  Q: Hi i am 79kg 165cm ex rugby league player would i be more suited to judo or bjj?
  A: Sorry, but there is a lot more to consider than your size in deciding whether judo or BJJ is better ...
instructor9/2/2011
  Q: i have been learning Judo from my black belt father for over 5 years. i have no official rank and ...
  A: Although laws in different states may vary, there are generally no legal restrictions on who may ...
judo sacrifice throw methods5/18/2011
  Q: normally in a judo sacrifice throw, uke lands head to head with nage. is it possible that uke will ...
  A: In normal judo practice the demonstration forms of sacrifice techniques all end as you describe with ...
Judo w/ BJJ info12/4/2010
  Q: I've just begun studying Judo. I'm reading a few Judo books but there seems to be a lot of info ...
  A: Yes, most of the technique info online regarding BJJ applies to judo as well. However there are also ...
Judo for Overweight Persons11/16/2010
  Q: Can a person in their 40's who is 100lbs overweight join Judo for the first time to get back in ...
  A: Judo is great for getting into shape. It can be physically demanding, but beginners can progress at ...
Taking Down Giants3/27/2010
  Q: Mr. Ohlenkamp, In your opinion what is the best strategy to open up larger opponents when they want ...
  A: It is difficult to answer such a question because it depends a bit on the circumstances. For ...
Judo Following Hip Surgery1/20/2010
  Q: I'm wondering what experience or advice you might have about returning to judo following hip ...
  A: I have had a total hip replacement and returned to judo. My ceramic hip is not perfect and causes me ...
Judo for Children11/16/2009
  Q: My 5 year old son has started to show an interested in the Martial Arts. I have taken him by a ...
  A: It is fine to begin judo (or another martial art) at age 5 if it is in a class that is geared for ...
A Return to Judo11/16/2009
  Q: I was driving down the street yesterday and passed a sign about Oxnard Judo for Children. After ...
  A: I know Hayward well. He is a great teacher. You are welcome to visit our class and practice with us ...
black belt5/15/2009
  Q: if a person is disabled in such a way that they cannot actually fight but can still learn how to do ...
  A: This depends on the promotion system in use for the person. In other words, what country and ...
Looking for an instructor9/22/2008
  Q: My sensei used to train with a few different instructors and I am still trying to locate 2 of them. ...
  A: I also trained with Sung Bo Suk and Bob Ota. Bob Ota passed away about 20 years ago, and I heard ...
JUDO6/14/2008
  Q: WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN JUDO AND KARATE and what is the diifference between judo and martial ...
  A: A Martial Art can be defined as a system of techniques and exercises developed as an effective means ...
Shinohara v. Douillet3/25/2008
  Q: Sensei, What is your opinion regarding the infamous "Ippon" in the Olympic match between Shinohara ...
  A: Although I initially agreed that Shinohara gained control and should have been awarded ippon, I can ...
KONICHIVAAA!!!11/30/2007
  Q: What shall I do when my knee is badly injured?Perhapse my ligaments or meniscius?Whats the worst ...
  A: See a doctor immediately. This kind of injury is generally fixed quite easily and you can enjoy a ...
Are single leg takedowns with a leg trip allowed in Judo?9/13/2007
  Q: This is a bit long but most of it is my reason for asking my question, which is at the end: Ive ...
  A: Ques. 1 -- Some MMA fighters are skilled in judo throws, but most do not invest the time to learn ...
Help me please9/3/2007
  Q: I have been taking Kenpo Karate in Colorado, I am not in any advanced ranks or anything, but when I ...
  A: I have practiced kenpo as well as judo and jujutsu. I believe that your assessment is correct. ...
Training.8/2/2007
  Q: i have a young daughter 15/16 years old who has done extremely well at club and competition in the ...
  A: The situation you describe is very typical for both boys and girls at this age. It is quite common ...
Judo Popularity2/8/2007
  Q: Why is Judo not popular in the US? France has over a million Judokas but the US has only 50,000 or ...
  A: There are many answers to this question and everyone has an opinion. The reasons involve judo ...
streetfight2/7/2007
  Q: i am 28yrs old blackbelt holder in karate(1996).Right now i am not in practise from last 2 yrs.My ...
  A: Here are your two choices: 1. Your best choice is to avoid street fights. 2. Your second best choice ...
How to get back in shape for competition1/6/2007
  Q: I am 50 years old, brown belt,overweight by 40 lbs and involved in judo for many years. I have a ...
  A: It sounds like you need to train smart, rather than hard. At 50 years old it is much more difficult ...
When to promote in Judo12/28/2006
  Q: It was a real honor and privilege to have been invited to your Dojo and to meet you in person. I ...
  A: It was a pleasure meeting you as well. I am happy to hear that Belize has now taken the steps ...
grade 2 shoulder separation9/12/2006
  Q: I have a shldr separation which is now 9 weeks old. I am 45, sinsei Brown in Utica says Im too ...
  A: I'm sorry I can't be of much help since I am not a doctor and have not examined you. I can share ...
principles9/10/2006
  Q: I'm an avid Taichi and internal arts practitioner. I've been studying Taichi for a long time. ...
  A: I am afraid I don't know enough about taichi to completely answer your question. Judo does have ...
Teaching Judo7/26/2006
  Q: I earned my Black Belt in Judo some 16 odd years ago from a friend of my fathers, who taught 8 or 9 ...
  A: Assuming you are in the US, there are 3 national organizations authorized to issue valid judo ranks ...
judo clubs7/15/2006
  Q: im looking to seriously start studying judo. i am 30 years old.i was wondering if im starting too ...
  A: I don't think 30 years old is too old at all. It certainly won't be as easy as if you were 13, but ...
certification6/22/2006
  Q: I've been teaching Judo here at BIA and at LACC for many years. I would like to be able to give my ...
  A: I am glad to hear that you have students who are progressing. I didn't know that you were teaching ...
Aikido or Judo2/17/2006
  Q: Sir, I am 52 years old and interested in both judo and aikido.(Time will not allow both) Do you have ...
  A: You probably need to talk to the instructors of both classes before deciding, or try out both to see ...
Opportunity to ear a black belt12/28/2005
  Q: Ohlenkamp: I am 48 year years old, in reasonably good shape, and have been practicing judo for the ...
  A: It is certainly possible to earn your black belt, but it depends on a number of factors. The most ...
Re: Encino Judo Club12/16/2005
  Q: I wanted to know how I can become a member of the Encino Judo Club and how much are the costs for ...
  A: Jose, You can join any of our classes at any time and that makes you a member of the Encino Judo ...
Hey Neil10/26/2005
  Q: The reason i am contacting you through this website is because I have cancelled the old e-mail ...
  A: I really appreciate that. I always hoped you would get that shodan, and I'm glad to hear you are ...
morote7/11/2005
  Q: Im a Shodan with 13 years experience. My Sensei is Hank Kraft and for years he has screamed at me to ...
  A: My sensei does seoinage the same way you described your sensei showing it. Of course, I like to do ...
PAL programs4/18/2005
  Q: Neil, we met years ago at camp Bushido. Do you have any experience with the new Judo programs that ...
  A: I have not had any experience with PAL judo programs other than going to a PAL judo class a few ...
Tricks for Competition1/29/2005
  Q: For the purpose of background, I just earned my second degree brown belt following a long absence ...
  A: That's a question that someone could write a book about. Of course the little tricks that help your ...
how do i become a teacher1/14/2005
  Q: Name of expert: Neil Ohlenkamp 1-14-05 Students name: Seth Brief summary: U.S. Team ...
  A: Seth, In the US the minimum grade to teach judo is usually considered to be the black belt, although ...
shoulder injury10/24/2004
  Q: I bruised my left shoulder about one month ago, during summersault fall. I have been taking it easy ...
  A: I'm glad my site has been helpful for you. This is really a medical question and it would be ...
Beginner's Kata10/1/2004
  Q: Is there a preferred Judo kata you would recommend for a student starting out in Judo? If so, which ...
  A: The first kata studied in Judo is almost always the nage no kata. It is generally agreed that this ...
Uchimata-sukashi9/25/2004
  Q: I've seen it called "Uchimata slip," and "Uchimata dodge." Do you have any other English term for ...
  A: Uchimata sukashi is a popular counter throw used in judo competition and free practice. Several ...
Kodokan Judo institute9/1/2004
  Q: I have been studing judo for the past 6 years, now i am 18, and finishing high school. After working ...
  A: My understanding is that you can train at the Kodokan for 3 or 4 months, but you should contact the ...
Seeking Personal Fitness Coach with for Judo experience8/24/2004
  Q: I am 43yo and am seeking to go into Judo for fitness. I am a busy business man and time is at a ...
  A: What you want sounds reasonable. To find someone to work out with I would try contacting one of the ...
Ura gatame?8/21/2004
  Q: Is ura gatame, an accepted holddown technique? I taught myself this holddown from the Ippon book, ...
  A: The IJF rules (which you can read at http://judoinfo.com/pdf/Contest%20Rules-03.pdf) state in ...
Ude Garami7/26/2004
  Q: First of all, I love your website! haha.. it makes me want to try some throws every time I see the ...
  A: Although the rules say that you cannot apply joint locks anywhere except the elbow, it is never ...
Randori Throws6/18/2004
  Q: I have been practising judo for about two years and can execute many throws with a cooperative uke. ...
  A: Your situation is pretty typical. It takes a couple of years to learn the basic moves, then a couple ...
OBI Knot/Left Hand Grip11/27/2003
  Q: Sensei- 1-Is there a correct manner to tie your OBI? I am working out with 2 Dojos and it seems to ...
  A: 1. There is a correct way to tie the know in your obi. You can see an image of it on my web page at ...
Why Uchi-Mata?2/26/2003
  Q: I must say I was excited to see that you, a veritable monolith of information on Judo, were ...
  A: Uchimata is often seen in the heavy weight division, for example by one of the world's greatest ...
Simple, but gentle, self-defense move12/30/2002
  Q: This question is for a novel I am writing. I know little about Judo, but would like the main ...
  A: Here is a typical Judo response, and one that every black belt should be able to do, as well as most ...
Tournament Judo - Gripping9/25/2002
  Q: I would just like to ask you what do you feel is the best way to avoid your opponents 'stiffness'. I ...
  A: This is a big question in Judo. You will see some discussion of it, and advice from various experts, ...
Real World Application6/12/2001
  Q: I am currently studying Muay Thai and I really like it because of its practicality in a self-defense ...
  A: I think many people have discovered that Judo is a great complement to any striking art. The close ...

All Questions in This Category

Judo

Neil Ohlenkamp

Top Expert on this page