Judo/Questions Answered by Expert Peter Boyes

SubjectDate Asked
Fresher3/29/2011
  Q: My age is 23 years. i want to learn martial arts, is it good starting at this age or any ...
  A: Judo is good for any age as a 'sport', but it's self-defence techniques have been diluted for the ...
JUDO6/5/2010
  Q: I an about 1.75 meters tall but I'm 13 years old (57.100 kg) so most of my opponents are shorter ...
  A: I believe you should always have 3 throws that you are working on - your current favourite, the ...
judo points1/25/2010
  Q: I am very confused with how points work in compitions. I do not mean as in scoring points but as in ...
  A: Andrew, yes, the points structure can be very confusing especially as it usually changes in the ...
judo throws1/5/2010
  Q: what judo throws work for a short partner against a tall partner with long limbs? what judo throws ...
  A: I'm a believer that at any stage in your Judo career you should have 3 current throws that you are ...
clubs needing premises4/22/2009
  Q: myself and bizz partner are looking to open an martial arts academy in Bristol in a new build unit ...
  A: Gary, I don't know of any clubs currently looking to move, or new ones looking to startup. Judo in ...
Which style?10/17/2008
  Q: Hey, I was looking around for a while and I'm not sure which style to choose. I did Okinawan Shorin ...
  A: Dan, obviously I could sing the praises of Judo, but you may be limited by the clubs that are ...
judo competition10/10/2008
  Q: our state selection coming at next week.but my exam is also coming at next week.so,i can't do ...
  A: Krupal, without knowing your own strong techniques it is hard to recommend any specifics that will ...
Judo7/30/2008
  Q: Just wondering if you can help me out.I,v been doing judo now for 24 years and have just recently ...
  A: I assume you are in the UK, if you register the club with one of the national associations, the ...
counter attack11/22/2007
  Q: how best can i counter any tewaza move made by a bigger opponent the big guys always seem to find it ...
  A: Kudzai, when you say 'tewaza' do you mean 'leg grabs' like morote gari, or other tewaza like tai ...
A level help9/14/2007
  Q: ideally around orange belt, 6th ryu? is this possible or should i seriously consider another sport? ...
  A: Callum, I am sure that with reasonable fitness and ability an orange belt would be achievable in ...
Deference and status in Judo6/5/2007
  Q: I'm 32 and started attending judo classes about 6 week's ago. Although I enjoy the sessions I've an ...
  A: without knowing the other person it is indeed hard to tell if he was serious or winding you up. As ...
belt question4/22/2007
  Q: I am returning to Judo nearly 20 years later from when i stopped. I used to be an orange belt ...
  A: Andrew, the lower grades (i.e. below blue belt) are generally more flexible and I know of a few ...
return to judo aged 538/20/2006
  Q: I have done some judo in the past. I live northof Chepstow. i have started regular fitness training ...
  A: Gwion, you are never too old - if you are fit enough you can partake in 'competitive' Judo without ...
Judo Clubs7/31/2006
  Q: I used to train and compete on a regular basis but over the last few years. I am now looking for a ...
  A: Jade, if you were in Kingswood then I guess you were at a BJC club, Koi perhaps ? There's not much ...
Confused7/15/2005
  Q: Can you tell me waht is the relationship between Gravity, Force and Momentum plus and at what point ...
  A: Frank, I have a book (The Secrets of Judo by Watanabe and Avakian) that explains the 'physics' of ...
judo5/30/2005
  Q: i was with bjc for 15yrs.then gave up judo and when restarted i joined bja which im a 1st kye.can i ...
  A: Andrew, Both organisations recognise each others grade and will generally ratify your comparitive ...
Tricks for Competition1/29/2005
  Q: For the purpose of background, I just earned my second degree brown belt following a long absence ...
  A: Matthew, without knowing you in person it is hard to suggest what YOU should be doing, but I can ...
Personal Trainer from world of Judo8/24/2004
  Q: I am 43yo and am seeking to go into Judo for fitness. I am a busy business man and time is at a ...
  A: Steve, I don't know of any coaches in the Bristol area who fit nicely into the category you ...
Things that your life and art have taught you4/13/2004
  Q: As you are an expert in the martial arts, I would be grateful to receive some of your wisdom and ...
  A: Brian, as someone who does Judo I am not used to being called 'Master' - Pete is just fine. The ...
Leg Takedowns3/20/2004
  Q: it's me again. Thanks again for your last reply! Please let me know if I'm asking too many ...
  A: Chris, to answer your 2nd question first - I don't consider the distinction between ground and ...
To what extent is Geoff Gleason...2/4/2003
  Q: To what extent is Geoff Gleason recognized as as a leader in modern judo . I would also like your ...
  A: Kevin, although I have a couple of Geoff Gleeson's books I do not know of many other people who do. ...
Peter Boyes7/22/2002
  Q: Hey Pete Thank you very much for the info. I can't understand it here in the States Judo is almost ...
  A: I'm not sure of the exact breakdown between 'sport' Judo clubs and 'Traditional'. I was lucky when I ...
Fitness6/7/2002
  Q: I am 30, distinctly heavyweight, just started judo, and will be taking one class a week. I also ...
  A: Alex, what are your aims from your Judo ? There are 2 main aspects of Judo. The first is the ...

All Questions in This Category

Judo

Peter Boyes

Top Expert on this page