Judo/Questions Answered by Expert David Daley

SubjectDate Asked
HWxRpUskviBuEdRSm3/9/2012
  Q: dit :There are some fascinating dealdines on this article however I don’t know if I see all of ...
  A: I'm sorry but I don't understand what you are asking. I see you are from Germany so I can only ...
Coaching1/8/2012
  Q: I am a brown belt judoka in Zimbabwe,i woul like to know what level can i start coaching judo to ...
  A: There are a lot of parameters that need to be addressed. Are you talking about an organized club ...
rank8/13/2011
  Q: How does one advance in rank in judo and the martial arts? Is there a rigid system in place where ...
  A: Yes, Judo is regulated through two world wide organizations. The USJA and IJF. The requirements are ...
Training for speed5/23/2011
  Q: i just researched a lot read all bruce lee books appllied them all but i cant get the lightening ...
  A: You do know that Bruce Lee was not a Judo Player. I can give you several ways to help your speed. ...
Left or right hand grip?3/26/2011
  Q: My name is Ferdinando and I am a yellow belt judoka. Recently I became confused regarding my grip. ...
  A: Confusing for you? I'll bet your opponent is more confused. lol It really does not matter if you ...
shoes12/4/2010
  Q: I never understood why judo is practiced barefoot. Sambo, wrestling and even boxing practioners wear ...
  A: I didn't say we wore shoes on the mat. I said that the dirt on the mat flew in the eyes. That is the ...
Judo issues2/14/2010
  Q: I am 42 years of age, in very good physical condition(according to my Dr.) 5'-7" 165lbs. I am ...
  A: Either you are misinformed, or you have a judo club that is breaking the rules. In the strictest ...
utchimata6/26/2009
  Q: David What is the key for the success of Utchimata against heavy men? Are there any previous moves ...
  A: You say "heavy" person. How heavy? What is your weight in comparison? Rhetoric questions that your ...
judo6/6/2009
  Q: Why is America always closer to LAST place in World standings?
  A: The USA is the only country that does not support their athletes. We rely on private or company ...
judo2/5/2009
  Q: and I wanted to know is judo still being taut as self-defense or just sport.
  A: Judo is a self defense martial art. Judo is taught as a sport so it will be included in the ...
Judo footwork regarding hand position1/23/2009
  Q: I just started Judo and have been attending classes for about four months. This is a VERY simple ...
  A: The reason your sensei is instructing you this way is to give you a good foundation for Judo ...
Is it late for the black belt ?1/13/2009
  Q: i've started judo late in age 24, i played for just 5 months and stopped. now i am 27 , i am back ...
  A: You are not to old to get a black belt. I had a student start at 45 years of age and he made black ...
judo cmmpetition10/11/2008
  Q: our state competition is coming at next week & my exam is also coming at next week.so,i can't do ...
  A: Here are a few. Seating Seoinage?? This term worries me. I know what you mean but you should be ...
judo9/28/2008
  Q: sir,I participated coaching class in other city in summer.then after i came back in my city.i ...
  A: First you don't tell me what university you go to. The university will be able to help you. Or.. ...
judo training9/28/2008
  Q: sir,i am 20 years old,i'm playing judo since 2002.i participeted national level tournament in ...
  A: You have been practicing Judo for 6 years with no Sensei? And you entered A national tournament? ...
Getting back into the sport8/20/2008
  Q: I am returning to judo after a 22 year lay-off. My new sensi would like to see my black belt ...
  A: I am assuming that the sensei who awarded you the promotion was legit. He would have had to be ...
Arm Rolls2/5/2008
  Q: I need two arm rolls for 6th Kyu. Assuming ne waza techniques, one is to clamp tori's arm between my ...
  A: Are you sure that it's from the grappling position? What you described is correct in getting out of ...
What do you think best suits me?1/17/2008
  Q: I'm 13 years old about 5ft 8" and weigh around 10 stone. My main problem is that I am confused about ...
  A: Judo is indeed a self defense art. The striking and kicking arts are offensive. What you have to ...
Beginning in Judo9/8/2007
  Q: I am 24 years old and I have studied Tae Kwon Do for four years. I have been inspired by the growth ...
  A: The use of Judo in mma is on the rise. I have often wondered why most fighters thought that Jujitsu ...
Help me please9/3/2007
  Q: I have been taking Kenpo Karate in Colorado, I am not in any advanced ranks or anything, but when I ...
  A: Yeah, I don't think I would like to live there. Your not going to accomplish anything over night. ...
stretching7/12/2007
  Q: Sir, if you could possibly help me any, i would like to know some stretching techniques and also i ...
  A: I have taught judo over 25 years. But I have never taught by email or by phone. What you ask is ...
streetfight2/7/2007
  Q: i am 28yrs old martial artist.Right now i am not in practise from last 2 yrs.My problem is though i ...
  A: Why are you getting into fights? The way you describe it, sounds like it is an every day happening. ...
help for 2 1/2 yr old boy1/5/2007
  Q: hope you can give advise. our grandson who is quite bright for his age. problem - no discipline or ...
  A: 2 1/2 years old is a little young to start Judo. It has been done, but the parent has to have the ...
soft arts10/9/2006
  Q: What is the difference between Jujutsu, judo, aikido, aiki jujutsu, daito ryu, and daito ryo daito ...
  A: First I apologize for not answering sooner. I never got a notice of your question until just now. It ...
judo experience9/23/2006
  Q: I was wondering how long does it take to get really good at judo. I mean olympic calibur? I just ...
  A: This is a question that is hard to answer. I will try: Just about every Olympic Judo champion I have ...
jujitsu dojos?9/11/2006
  Q: i am currently taking aikido and i like it. however i dont think it is the same style that steven ...
  A: I looked up your request and came up with only one listing. I hope this helps you. Memphis Judo & ...
young son interested in karate, how about judo?9/10/2006
  Q: I have a 6 yr old son who took a very basic karate class last year at a community center and loved ...
  A: This is a great question and I wish more parents took as active role in choosing a club/school. 1. ...
is it right for me9/9/2006
  Q: do you think is art is right for me i am 14 and a inspired self tought extreme martial artist but ...
  A: Judo can be mastered by anyone of all sizes. Judo was invented by the Japanese, a small in stature ...
Judo Techniques8/27/2006
  Q: i am 14 and i have been practising thai boxing for 4 years. I want to add some ground work and ...
  A: Yes Judo is very heavy in ground work grappling techniques. I found an excellent page with videos. ...
beginning judo11/25/2005
  Q: I'm sixteen and have joined my local judo recently.I have done many other martial arts before but ...
  A: I am glad you like Judo. It is a way of life that will reward you as long as you live. Your ...
thank you to David Daley7/30/2005
  Q: David, I just received your reply to the question I asked about teaching a blind character in my ...
  A: Where would I pick up a copy of your book? Standard book store? You bet you can email me. ...
How to develop some new competition throws7/16/2005
  Q: I'm 13 years of age and have been doing Judo for almost 6 years. Obviously in that time i have had ...
  A: I have to assume you are part of a club/class that meets on a regular basis? Your question would be ...
Biomechanical Angle7/15/2005
  Q: When practicing Tai-toshi what should be the biomeechanical angle and where should this be. Many ...
  A: First off it's "Tai Otoshi" (body drop). I am not one to split hairs and don't make the precise ...
morote7/11/2005
  Q: Im a Shodan with 13 years experience. My Sensei is Hank Kraft and for years he has screamed at me to ...
  A: As you enter the throw (right posture) your elbow is up under the armpit of your uki. As you pull ...
beginning7/1/2005
  Q: age 20 just started hi is there any web siytes where i can get the names of throws/ techniques and ...
  A: This site has a lot of animated throws that will help you. http://www.judoinfo.com/animate.htm I'm ...
mixed competition6/23/2005
  Q: Good morning please, can you tell me why in many books about judo it is written that a skiled ...
  A: If judo were striking and/or kicking, then you would see mixed competition. Because Judo has all ...
United states Womens Champion6/22/2005
  Q: I do not know what year it was, but an acquaintance of mine from Topeka, KS, if I remember correctly ...
  A: You don't say if you are looking for a male or female. With the information you gave me, I would ...
help 4 son's training6/17/2005
  Q: i have a question about my son's training.he has been training for 2 years in Fresno,Ca.I been ...
  A: Boy do I know what you mean. This bad (Judo) habit should have been caught and stopped the first ...
I need help...4/27/2005
  Q: my name is Sam, I have a bit of a problem and I do hope you can offer some advice to me at least. I ...
  A: Dude! You need more help than I can give you. Is this a joke? If your really going through this then ...
What are the types of injuries in Judo?4/24/2005
  Q: I have read through several books on Judo and am interested in Judo. The only doubt remaining is the ...
  A: A very good question It has been established that there have been no injuries caused by Judo. Now ...
material for book4/2/2005
  Q: Sensei, I am the writer of a mystery novel entitled, Blind Traveler Down a Dark River. As the title ...
  A: Bennett I taught a class of blind students when I was in college. At the time I was majoring in ...
Judo2/24/2005
  Q: I am 37 and have no Judo experience. I have trained for 2 years in B.J.J. and have recently moved to ...
  A: Judo is Jiu Jitsu made save. It will be very familiar to you when you start. But, you must not use ...
Competition tricks1/29/2005
  Q: For the purpose of background, I just earned my second degree brown belt following a long absence ...
  A: I know what you are talking about. The little aches and pains from age will have an effect on your ...
Just need information for research10/3/2004
  Q: age 15 no experience. I am researching Judo to do a brochure for a class in school. how do you do ...
  A: You ask a question that cannot be answered with a couple of words. It took me 30 years to get where ...
Judo for street defence10/3/2004
  Q: My name is Warren, I am 36 years of age, 5 feet 9 inches and around 75 kgs. What I am looking for ...
  A: Power went out again. The kick boxing art is an offensive martial art. Judo is what you are looking ...
akibujutsu9/12/2004
  Q: I'm 35 this month and am a white belt in akibujutsu. I have been trying to break down the meaning of ...
  A: Sorry about the delay. I live in Florida and still cleaning up after the hurricane. This must be on ...
Am I able to practice judo?9/5/2004
  Q: Im 25 years old. I have never practised any martial art. Now I have already finished my ...
  A: Sorry about the delay. I live in Florida and I just got my power back on after the hurricane. I ...
age/competitions8/31/2004
  Q: because dont most people start really young. Would there be any competitions available for beginners ...
  A: You can start Judo at any age. The youngest I have taught is 4 years and the oldest 78 years. There ...
judo as a defence8/24/2004
  Q: i'm 22 i have no judo experience actually i just want to know how does judo stack up as a form of ...
  A: It depends on what type of combat you plan on doing. If you are going to war, then that's one thing. ...
about martial arts6/24/2004
  Q: What is the main differences between the different martial art styles such as (karate , kung fu , ...
  A: karate , kung fu , judo , tae kown do , akido , etc? This is a tall order and if I were to answer ...
training5/14/2004
  Q: Sir, 1. What are some of the most effective training drills in grappling? and how? 2. Also kindly ...
  A: Grappling is difficult to explain without demonstration. But, I will do my best. You ask: 1. What ...
Things that your life and art have taught you4/13/2004
  Q: Daley As you are an expert in the martial arts, I would be grateful to receive some of your wisdom ...
  A: Boy! That's a good one. I will have to put it in a nut shell, so to speak. As a youngster, I was ...
Triangle Choke / Head Holding4/12/2004
  Q: I have heard that it is illegal to pull your opponent's head down with your hands while executing ...
  A: Sorry to take so long to contact you. I had a hard drive crash. I have never heard of that ...
Counters3/18/2004
  Q: What are your favourite moves when you have your opponents back while standing up? (ie. just after ...
  A: You have hit on one of my favorite counters. It is called "Uranage". The one thing you have to make ...

All Questions in This Category

Judo

David Daley

Top Expert on this page