Kabbalah/Hi Robert

Dear Robert,

I believe when the student is ready the teacher appears. :-)
I have been looking at Kabbalah for about a year now and NOW is the right time, I feel it.
I have a special interest in the kabbalistic Astrology and how it looks at the months as well as the year.
I would also love to get the book "book of formation" and the "kabbalistic approach to astrology"
or maybe I should just stop right here and ask you where I begin and what I need? I am so ready for this and at my age of 51 years old, feel I am ready. I have also studied the old testament thoroughly and this will help me tremendously.
I avhe been to Israel, I stayed with my best friend for 8 months...adn he taught me hebrish, we called it, street hebrew :-))))) I loved my time in Israel and felt I was home, I belonged. but my visa ended and I had to leave.
I started studying psychology, but never agreed with a lot of the people we had to follow.... Freud being one of them and his theory on humans and the consciousness.... and this has led me down a road towards Kabbalah....

thank you

tree of life
tree of life  
Hi Carol - thanks for your question. If you feel the time is right to study Kabbalah - then, it's probably time to jump in.

I always encourage my students to begin with "God is a Verb" by Rabbi David Cooper. This book is an excellent introduction to basic Kabbalisitic concepts (which he describes in a user-friendly manner).

For Kabbalistic astrology - you may want to review "Personal Kabbalah" by Penny Cohen. She integrates the qualities of the sephirot with the planets, moon & sun. It's a well-written introductory book, and she incorporates Kabbalistic psychology into her interpretations.

When you're ready for scholarship, please take a look at Gershom Scholem's "On the Mystical Shape of the Godhead" and Idel's "Kabbalah: New Prospectives."

These books will keep you busy for quite a while. If you encounter any confusing or mind-numbing obstacles along the way - please feel free to contact me for additional information - with best wishes for the New Year - Bob Waxman  

Robert Waxman, Ph.D.

Please ask any questions that are relevant to Kabbalah or Jewish mysticism. Other topics to inquire about include: science and Kabbalah, parallel universes, reincarnation, after-death states, cosmology, numerology (gematria), hidden meanings of the Bible, the eternal validity of the soul, Plato, and Kabbalah, Vedanta and Kabbalah, and the meaning of life according to Kabbalah.

Author of "Kabbalah Simply Stated" published by Paragon House Publishers and distributed in 12 countries. Other books: "2012: The Meaning and The Message", "Seven Fundamental Propositions of Esoteric Philosphy" and "The Power of AWE!". Studied Kabbalah with Rabbi Azriel Abraham of Jerusalem from 1985 - 1998 and have been teaching Kabbalah and other subjects since 1998. Classes include: Kabbalah According To The Scholars, (Scholem, Kaplan, Tishby & Idel), Comparative Spirituality, Latest Research on the Near Death Experience (NDE), Spirtually Transformative Experiences & Cognitive Dissonance, Common Threads of Wisdom in Religion, Science, and Consciousness Studies. Thousands have attended these classes over the years. Additionally, on-going classes are given all year round along with guest speaking presentations at a wide variety of religious and philosophical organizations.

Founding Member and guest speaker at The Open Center in Sarasota, FL. International Association for Near-Death Studies (IANDS) Longboat Key Education Center Unity Life Enrichment Center American Seminar Leader's Association

(3) Books, many original articles that can be found on the internet (ezine, netterweb, searchwarp, etc.) "Beyond Madonna - Kabbalah according to the Great Scholars" and "Beyond The Da Vinci Code".

Ph.D. from Saybrook University; Master's Degree from Skidmore College with a concentration in Comparative Religion; (2) B.A.'s from The American University. Additional courses in Philosophy at Columbia University.

Many certificates of appreciation and recognition from various organizations.

Over the last 15 years classes have been held at The Open Center, (5) Jewish Community Centers in South Florida, synogogues, Longboat Key Education Center, The Center For Positive Living, Interfaith Centers, Unity of Sarasota, and other religious & philosophical organizations.