Kabbalah/Story of the Mother bird

Question
In anticipation of this week's Torah portion, I wonder if you remember the parable of the young man who honors his father by climbing up on the roof to free the mother bird (both mitzvoth that promise a long life for performing them) only to fall to his death? I can't remember how the story ends or it's moral. Thank you in advance

Answer
Dear Joel,

Thank you for your question.

The Talmud tells the story of Rabbi Elisha Ben Abuha, a famous scholar who became a non-believer as a result of two incidents that he experienced.

Rabbi Elisha was walking one day and he saw a father and son near a tree which contained a bird’s nest. The Torah has many laws about not hurting animals needlessly. One of these laws is that if you’re about to take an egg from the nest, you must first chase the mother bird away so she doesn’t suffer the pain of seeing her egg being taken away. So the father tells the son, “Here’s your chance to fulfill this mitzvah. Climb up the tree, shoo away the mother bird, and take the egg.” The child climbed up, fell down and died. Rabbi Elisha thought that “if God could allow this to happen, then I don’t want to have anything to do with Him.” That’s one version of why he became a non-believer.

The other version is that during the Roman persecutions after the destruction of the Second Temple, many of the great Sages were tortured to death in the most horrible ways imaginable. On Yom Kippur and Tisha B’Av, we recall these 10 famous martyrs. One of them was Rabbi Elisha’s teacher, Rabbi Chutzpas. Rabbi Elisha watched his beloved teacher’s tongue being ripped out by the Romans and tortured to death, after which they did not permit his body to be buried. Rabbi Elisha thought that “if God can allow this to happen, then I don’t want to have anything to do with Him.”

Rabbi Elisha was one of the greatest Sages in Jewish history, on an extremely high spiritual level. So we don’t understand his particular challenge. But as it applies to us, we can learn the following: Even though you may have dealt intellectually with the issue of “why bad things happen to good people,” when faced with actual suffering, you can still lose it.

I hope this information is helpful, and I wish you all the best, Bob Waxman, Ph.D.

Kabbalah

Robert Waxman, Ph.D.