Kabbalah/Seeking Revenge or ?

Dear respected Rabbi. I have a serious question for you. I have just found out that someone I trusted and have treated well with gifts kindness etc has been hiding the truth from me and also telling me total lies. At the very least they have PRETENDED not to know things they have full knowledge of !! They have also maligned me behind my back and made me look a fool !!
The Bible says an eye for an eye so I feel justified in so doing ! What is the view from a Kabbalist's perspective please ? And also they would learn a spiritual lesson from this wouldn't they ?

Shalom,  Angry Vanessa

Hi Vanessa - what an interesting question! First of all, please put your anger aside for a few minutes while you consider my observations.

I appreciate your quotation from Ex. 21:23: "But if any harm follow, then thou shalt give life for life, [24] eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, etc..."

According to the Torah, a person who has injured another person is subject to a similar injury [in retribution], or according to the value of the injury in some form of compensation.

Significantly, in the Broadway musical, "Fiddler on the Roof," please note the following dialogue between Tevye and a Villager while responding to the violent methods of the Russians:

Villager: An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth!

Tevye: Very good. That way the whole world will be blind and toothless.

I believe that Tevye has a good point. However, the question is: what should a person do when she is angry, betrayed, and insulted? On this subject, Ghandhi said, "Ahimsa means not to injure any creature by thought, word or deed. True ahimsa should mean a complete freedom from ill-will and anger and hate and an overflowing love for all. Ahimsa is the attribute of the soul and therefore to be practiced by everybody in all the affairs of life."

Additionally, The New Testament says, "You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ [44] But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."

Unfortunately, I've never met anyone who "loved their enemies." This concept seems to be more of an ideal than a common behavior. Other religions such as Buddhism, Taoism, Shinto, etc.  teach a doctrine of non-action or compassion toward those who have hurt us emotionally and/or physically, but growing up in a Western society usually brings to mind thoughts of revenge or getting-even.

So, now let's review your question in the light of Kabbalah. First, we need to identify which part of you is feeling angry and vengeful. It's certainly not your Neshamah [essence of soul with Yechidah and Chiah]; and it's not your Nephesh [breath of life/natural instinct]; so, it must be your Ruach [the reasoning and emotional powers of your personality] which are dealing with the emotional attributes of the 7th sephira on the Tree of Life [symbolizing the emotional body]. Correspondingly, the 7th Commandment forbids the emotional issue of adultery.

In other words Vanessa, it's the ego that is reacting to the situation and wants to even the score.

Kabbalistically, this is where the connecting attributes [sephirot] of: Tipheret [Beauty/Balance], Hod [logic and intellect], and Yesod [the foundations of your true-self] can work together to counteract the roller-coaster of the emotional nature, and therefore, ground you for the purpose of keeping your perceptions in proper perspective...and how is this type of clear-thinking accomplished? Usually through reflection, study, and meditation [kavvanah].

In other words, when you allow the essence of your Inner Wisdom [Chochmah] to manifest  through your Spiritual Understanding [Binah]; then, these spiritual impulses will move through Da'ath [divine knowledge] and move into the sephira of Chesed [Love or Mercy].

When you arrive at this point when your God-Self and your personality-self become as one, then you will find that your anger will automatically dissipate and you will find inner peace. Also, from a Kabbalistic perspective - each person will "reap what they sow" and "the Universe" will always take care of balancing-out the scales of justice, goodness, truth, and compassion/love. This Infinite Force is everyone's best teacher. It is yours as well.

Vanessa, I hope this information is helpful for you - and wish you all the best,  

Bob Waxman, Ph.D.
The Open Center
Sarasota, FL  

Robert Waxman, Ph.D.

Please ask any questions that are relevant to Kabbalah or Jewish mysticism. Other topics to inquire about include: science and Kabbalah, parallel universes, reincarnation, after-death states, cosmology, numerology (gematria), hidden meanings of the Bible, the eternal validity of the soul, Plato, and Kabbalah, Vedanta and Kabbalah, and the meaning of life according to Kabbalah.

Author of "Kabbalah Simply Stated" published by Paragon House Publishers and distributed in 12 countries. Other books: "2012: The Meaning and The Message", "Seven Fundamental Propositions of Esoteric Philosphy" and "The Power of AWE!". Studied Kabbalah with Rabbi Azriel Abraham of Jerusalem from 1985 - 1998 and have been teaching Kabbalah and other subjects since 1998. Classes include: Kabbalah According To The Scholars, (Scholem, Kaplan, Tishby & Idel), Comparative Spirituality, Latest Research on the Near Death Experience (NDE), Spirtually Transformative Experiences & Cognitive Dissonance, Common Threads of Wisdom in Religion, Science, and Consciousness Studies. Thousands have attended these classes over the years. Additionally, on-going classes are given all year round along with guest speaking presentations at a wide variety of religious and philosophical organizations.

Founding Member and guest speaker at The Open Center in Sarasota, FL. International Association for Near-Death Studies (IANDS) Longboat Key Education Center Unity Life Enrichment Center American Seminar Leader's Association

(3) Books, many original articles that can be found on the internet (ezine, netterweb, searchwarp, etc.) "Beyond Madonna - Kabbalah according to the Great Scholars" and "Beyond The Da Vinci Code".

Ph.D. from Saybrook University; Master's Degree from Skidmore College with a concentration in Comparative Religion; (2) B.A.'s from The American University. Additional courses in Philosophy at Columbia University.

Many certificates of appreciation and recognition from various organizations.

Over the last 15 years classes have been held at The Open Center, (5) Jewish Community Centers in South Florida, synogogues, Longboat Key Education Center, The Center For Positive Living, Interfaith Centers, Unity of Sarasota, and other religious & philosophical organizations.