Thank you very much for your response, and I would
appreciate more clarity.

What is the Kabbalistic view of sin and is there a
concept of salvation from sin?

What is the significance of blood and sacrifice, as in
Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son?

Thank you very much for your help.

Hi Jennifer

As you can well imagine, there is a great amount of information in Kabbalah about sin and the recovery from sin.

In a nutshell, sin is a) a blemish on the soul and b) an interference in one's relatiionship to G-d. But, sin never severs the connection to G-d, which means we always remain connected deep down.

Atonement for sin is achieved through a spiritual process called "Teshuvah", which means return. Teshuvah is achieved through regret of the sin, commitment to a more spiritual lifestyle and a combination of prayer, study and charity. There are many levels within Teshuvah, which means that it is a lifetime process.

There is no concept of salvation from sin in Kabbalah, other than to achieve a lofty spiritual level, where you are beyond temptation.

There is also no significance to blood in sacrifice, other than that it implies sapping the life out of something negative and injecting that life into service of G-d. One can certainly atone for sin without blood.

Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son showed his incredible dedication to G-d. He was prepared to give up everything, even his own son, his own belief system (that human sacrifice is anathema to service of G-d) and G-d's promise that he would have a son who would father a great nation. Abraham's willingness to sacrifice Isaac is meant to teach us that our dedication to G-d should be so powerful that we are prepared to do whatever He asks, even if it goes against everything we understand and believe.

I hope that is helpful.

Kind regards,

Rabbi Shishler

Rabbi Ari Shishler

I'm happy to answer questions on Jewish belief, Jewish spirituality & Kabbalah.

Rabbi, lecturer on Talmud and Jewish spirituality at Chabad House, Johannesburg, South Africa 1997-present. Talmud teacher at local Jewish high school 1996- present.

Chabad Lubavitch.

Monthly column in Jewish Life magazine, South Africa. Jewish Tradition, South Africa. Jewish Report, South Africa. South African Union of Jewish Students annual Holiday guide. Jewish Observer, South Africa. Nshei Chabad Newsletter, NY. Jewish Online Magazine. www.chabad.org

Six years of tertiary education at Rabbinical seminaries in South Africa, Israel and New York.

www.askmoses.com www.chabad.org