Karaoke/Want sing and record at home

Question
One of my hobbies that I like to do is sing karaoke with downloaded Karaoke songs on my computer. I have a reasonable voice, on key and I just like the sound of it. I have tried to record but my voice when I sing WITH a singer is better (richer fuller) than without. How do I record Karaoke at home with a microphone and instrumentals on my computer while listening to the actual artist in one ear? Obviously the original music and the recording I am making need to be separate. Is there a way to do this? Would you happen to know how or what I need to do this? If not do you know someone who can tell me?

Answer
Hi Penny! (I bet you hear "Penny for your thoughts" type jokes all the time with your name, right? Haha only kidding)

But to answer your question, it's definitely doable. You didn't mention what you use to play your songs on your computer, but I do believe there is a way to play/record one deck that plays, then use the actual file to play simultaneously in earphones. Most can do this, so it shouldn't be a problem. My first instinct was to try and have you play one file on your karaoke software, then the other on a Windows Media Player type, but I have a feeling that timing it right could be a pain. So that's my first recommendation based on what you've described. Since programs are different, I can't really tell you exactly HOW to setup a preview deck to one side to headphones. Good luck!

Andrew

Karaoke

Frank A. Dornay, Jr.