Kenya/Getting married in Kenya

Question
Hi

I am a South African and stayed in Kenya for a year. i now want to marry a Kenyan and take her home. She has a flight ticket for 30 November 2012 to go to SA. I WANT TO KNOW HOW LONG THE MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE WILL TAKE IF WE GET MARRIED AND IF SHE WILL NEED TO APPLY FOR NO IMPEDIMENT TO MARRIAGE.

Answer
Hi Luyanda,

A Kenya getting married abroad needs to apply for a certificate for no impediment to marriage. I assume that you are getting married in Kenya and thus no need for that.

Depending on the type of ceremony you undertake, you can have the certificate issued on the day. If she is to leave for SA by 20th of this month, then you need to apply for a special license. The ordinary type licence requires a 21 day wait.

For more assistance, email me on mwairimum@yahoo.co.uk

Maggie

Kenya

Margaret Kariuki