Kenya/Divorce

Question
Dear Gichuchu,

I am writing because I am trying to find out how to formally provide the necessary paperwork to the Kenyan government to show that my now ex-husband and I are divorced.   We married in 2007 at Sheria House, then we applied for his relative visa shortly thereafter.    I moved back to the States in 2008, December.   By April 2009, he had been granted his visa and moved to the states.   By 2010, we had divorced in the States.   

We also have a daughter to which I was given full custody.   I believe I read that she is automatically recognized as a Kenyan citizen because of her father.  I am not sure if this is true, but her father does not have parental custody of her.  I do fear he will attempt to get her a Kenyan passport so he can bring her to Kenyan without my knowledge until it is too late.   I just want to cover all my bases and make sure my divorce and parental custody are on file with Sheria House, so that we will no longer be recognized as divorced.    I appreciate any advice you can give.

Answer
Hello Beth,
I will have to contact Sheria house for a confirmation on this issue. But as far as I know in Kenya you are still married until the right paper work is legally accepted here. I think You will also need a lawyer here to provide your paper work.
I believe you are very right fearing he might get her out. What we should do is submit your divorce papers to Sheria house and letters to be submitted to Kenya immigration/ visa department / US Visa department confirming that your daughter is your custody and the man has no right to bring her back to Kenya.

I will be back to you in two days.
Thanks,
Okeno.

Kenya

Gichuchu Okeno