You are here:

Kenya/Marrying A Kenyan Lady


Hi Margaret,
First of all congrats on a great job. I have gone through some of the answers and that has encouraged me to ask you your advice.

This might be a little complicated. I am an Indian, now divorced, (almost five years back) and I did not update my passport and hence it still carries my spouse's name. In addition, I never bothered to collect the court decree.

Now I am in Kenya on a a visitor visa and met up with a lady who I am interested in marrying. I am also interested in continuing to stay back in Kenya and work here. Unfortunately, the lady is not employed.

Now if I want to marry her - what are the steps i need to take and documents. How do i get a dependent pass?

Thanks for the compliments and congratulations on your new found Kenyan love.


You will need the following documents.

>A full birth certificate.

> A valid passport.

> A valid Kenyan tourist permit obtained either from the Kenyan High Commission or on your arrival - which you already have as you are currently in Kenya.

>Since you are divorced you will need to present a Decree of Absolute having been stamped by the courts in your country.

> If the lady is under 21 years of age you will need written consent from her parents or guardians, in the form of an affidavit authorised by a notary or a solicitor.


You will need to be dependent on the lady. As it is, she is not employed. This will make it difficult to obtain a dependant pass.

That said, since you are in Kenya, you can come to our offices for a chat an explore other avenues. A small consultation fee shall apply of $57. If you would like to explore the matter further let me know.



All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Margaret Kariuki


I can answer most questions relating to civil law in Kenya. This includes Family Law, Commercial Law, Immigration and Conveyancing.


Legal Issues in Kenya Divorce Procedures Marriage Procedures Adoption in Kenya Trademarks in Kenya Work Permits in Kenya Custody of Children in Kenya Company Registration in Kenya Registering and Winding Up of Companies in Kenya Conveyancing in Kenya UK Immigration Law

Kenya Law Society

Advocate of High Court of Kenya Masters in Law (London School of Economics) Bachelors in Law (University of Warwick)

©2017 All rights reserved.