Amy Potvin wrote at 2008-08-11 14:02:19
Please learn from my story.  My 6 year old complained over many months of a dull ache in her left leg.  I googled 6 year old leg pain and assumed growing pains.  Since it did not always hurt when it did I would give her some ibuprofen.  Other than the ache she was a normal appearing very healthy.  On July 2, 2008 we noticed  a lump above her left hip.  We rushed her to the ER and 4 hours later learned she had stage 4 cancer.  This bump was hidden for many months growing and pressing on the nerves of her leg.  I am sure this is NOT the typical diagnosis... but if it pain continues check it out.  God Bless

seri wrote at 2009-02-17 22:17:39
My four year old son has been experiencing leg pain and restlessness for 2 years on and off now. He has trouble getting of to sleep and sometimes wakes up in pain. I too as a child experienced this, and continually the term growing pains has come up. Although it is annoying and frustrating for the child, the pain itself is not worthy of continual pain medicine.I have found that undertaking stretches for the legs 15 minutes before bedtime helps. Also rubbing the childs legs to distract them and prevent them getting frustrated is helpful.Adults sometimes suffer similar leg pains termed restless leg syndrome, particuly when pregnant.

danielle wrote at 2014-02-06 04:01:21
I'm at a loss also. My daughter is six and is in constant pain...dr said growing pains buts they keep coming, lasting longer and she is beyond crying! Idk what else to do for my baby

Kids` Health

Dr. Tara Kompare, Pharm.D.

I am a Doctor of Pharmacy and I am available to answer a variety of questions related to children's health and medicine ranging from the treatment of colic and cradle cap to allergies and acne. I am also the creator of the website "The Medicine Mom" at Parents can e-mail me questions, read my monthly articles, and enjoy a laugh at "The Funny Farm."

I am a Doctor of Pharmacy and mother of two wonderful girls. I work in a busy outpatient pharmacy clinic where I have the unique opportunity to counsel every patient that comes to my window. Publications: 1)Drug Topics, Feb. 2006: "Why a Kiddie Corner Makes Sense" 2)Pharmacy Times,Date TBA, "How to Help Parents Cope with Colic Education: Bachelor of Science, Old Dominion University 1997 Doctor of Pharmacy, Virginia Commonwealth University 2002