Kids` Health/Normal kids' respiratory rate

Hello, I am a school librarian helping students in grades 5 and 6 research the circulatory system. The students would like to know what is the normal breathing rate for kids their age (ages 9-12).

Thank you.

Hi Ann, thank you for contacting me.  Questions like this are tough for me, as I never know how to define 'normal' :)

Much depends on each child - their diet, how much they exercise, sleep patterns, if they hydrate properly, their climate / environment, gender, age, overall health...etc.  So, what is normal for one child may not be normal for another.  

But, most studies state that children ages 6-12 should have approximately 12-20 breaths/minute.  

Best of luck with your students, your students are lucky to have you as their librarian.

Kids` Health

Len Saunders

I can answer your questions about children's health, fitness, wellness, and obesity - so be specific with your questions. Many times I get question that a doctor or physiologist is better suited to answer. I specialize more in the line of exercise and nutrition for children. I also deal with the same topics pertaining to adult healthy lifestyle. Please note: Questions should not be related to sickness, as a doctor would be the first choice. I deal mostly with healthy lifestyle, so please, no medical questions!

Len Saunders is an award winning author, motivational speaker in the fight against childhood obesity, and nationally recognized for his innovative health & fitness events. Most recently, you may have seen Len on such media giants as CNN, Good Morning America, CNBC, The Today Show, ESPN, Nickelodeon, MSNBC, and the Fox Channel. He has served as a consultant to the President's Council on Fitness, Sports, and Nutrition as well as a spokesperson for the American Heart Association on the topic of childhood obesity. He has written or consulted with various media outlets, including Sports Illustrated For Kids magazine. Len has received praise for his leadership in the fight against childhood obesity from professional athletes, celebrities, and President's of the United States, as well as being invited to the White House on numerous occasions. Len's approach to children's health, fitness, and wellness is quite simple, but extremely effective. Len is best known for creating Project ACES, an event in which millions of school children worldwide exercise simultaneously in May each year.

Sports Illustrated, USA Today, Muscle and Fitness, along with other publications.

Master's Degree, Exercise Physiology, Monclair State University Bachelor's Degree, Physical Education, The University Of Bridgeport

I have won awards at the state and national level.