Kids` Health/Child Doesnot speak in front of others

Question
Dear Doc,

I have a daughter she is 3.5 yrs old going school she is in LKG.we are working parents ans she stays at baby sitting after school hrs. The problem with her is she is not answering or talking with her teacher or any other family member or any people outside. Any body ask anything she will not answer no matter what we do. but at the same time she is too much talkitive and talks every thing in front of mother father and her day care lady. she is also talking enjoying wth other children.

She doesnot answer in her oral exams in school not bcoz she doesnt know that answer when i ask her she says she doesnt want to say. she went to play school for about 2 yrs but she never open her mouth in front of teacher always teachers are complaining about her that she doesnt answer.

At the time of school interview also she didnt answer any questions asked by the panel of teachers.

i am worried what is the problem with her. with family people also she doesnt talk when we go their home she will not meet great or talk with them with their childen she is playing talking. Although she has meet he aunty several times but she doesnt speak she will just stare.

Everybody is suggesting me to show her to doctor a psycratist i dont know what to do please help.

Answer
Hi Sakina, I am not a doctor.....but it may be a good idea to talk to a doctor (in person, not on the internet) about your daughter.  

There may be some underlying reason why this is happening.  For example (and this does not necessarily apply too your daughter), the doctor may think she has something called Selective Mutism, which is a psychiatric disorder in which a person who is normally capable of speech is unable to speak in given situations or to specific people. Selective mutism usually co-exists with shyness or social anxiety.  Again, not specific to your daughter, but something a doctor may pick up seeing her in person.

Now, via the internet, it is hard to diagnose your daughter, but in person, a doctor may be able to diagnose her properly, and give her the attention she needs.

I wish you the best of luck with this.  Please let me know how it goes, and what a doctor may think is the cause of all this.

Kids` Health

Len Saunders