Kids` Health/Child Eating Disorder

My daughter
My daughter  
My child feels extremely nauseated even when she thinks about food. She doesn't like any food at all, and after eating tiny little bits, she throws it back up. She is eleven now, and she's less than 40 pounds. I gave her a pack of fruit snacks recently, and she ate two of the fruit snacks before throwing up. Sometimes she even throws up before she eats. Just the thought of the food makes her so sick. I get very angry at her but that's because I'm very terrified that she's going to fade away! She's eating less than 200 calories most days, and she's throwing it all back up everyday! This had been going on since she was old enough to chew. What kind of disorder is this?! I can't seem to find any answer anywhere!

Hi Stella, nice to hear from you, and so sorry you are having these concerns with your daughter. As always, it is hard to make any type of diagnosis via the internet without seeing and talking with your daughter, or any knowledge of her medical history.  In fact, anyone who would give you information like this over the internet should not be fully trusted.  But, what I recommend is keeping a log of everything involving your child's diet for one week - how much she eats, drinks, throwing up, and what types of foods she is ingesting.  Ask your pediatrician if this is okay to do, then make an appointment for your daughter to come in for a full exam with her doctor.  Your doctor may recommend going to a nutritionist to create a diet plan that both you and your daughter can agree on.  Your doctor may even recommend going to an allergist, just to see if certain foods are not agreeing with her.  Possibly, finding someone for your daughter to talk to who may specialize in these types of concerns.  You are a great Mom, and fully on top of this, so she is in good hands.  Call your pediatrician right away to make an appointment, and let the proper step begin from there.  Again, sorry I cannot give any good advice on this via the internet, but I wish you and your daughter the very best.

Kids` Health

Len Saunders

I can answer your questions about children's health, fitness, wellness, and obesity - so be specific with your questions. Many times I get question that a doctor or physiologist is better suited to answer. I specialize more in the line of exercise and nutrition for children. I also deal with the same topics pertaining to adult healthy lifestyle. Please note: Questions should not be related to sickness, as a doctor would be the first choice. I deal mostly with healthy lifestyle, so please, no medical questions!

Len Saunders is an award winning author, motivational speaker in the fight against childhood obesity, and nationally recognized for his innovative health & fitness events. Most recently, you may have seen Len on such media giants as CNN, Good Morning America, CNBC, The Today Show, ESPN, Nickelodeon, MSNBC, and the Fox Channel. He has served as a consultant to the President's Council on Fitness, Sports, and Nutrition as well as a spokesperson for the American Heart Association on the topic of childhood obesity. He has written or consulted with various media outlets, including Sports Illustrated For Kids magazine. Len has received praise for his leadership in the fight against childhood obesity from professional athletes, celebrities, and President's of the United States, as well as being invited to the White House on numerous occasions. Len's approach to children's health, fitness, and wellness is quite simple, but extremely effective. Len is best known for creating Project ACES, an event in which millions of school children worldwide exercise simultaneously in May each year.

Sports Illustrated, USA Today, Muscle and Fitness, along with other publications.

Master's Degree, Exercise Physiology, Monclair State University Bachelor's Degree, Physical Education, The University Of Bridgeport

I have won awards at the state and national level.