Kids Sports & Recreation/Sports

I want to join a sports team but my mum can't afford it what can I do?

Amber, I am so sorry I didn't get right back to you on this question. I feel I let you down. So here are some things I thought of.

What are the reasons you want to join the sport team? Is it friends or a strong desire to get in better shape? Perhaps you can meet those goals with your friends or even at school. You can workout at home to get in better shape.

If it's to be a really good athlete in a particular sport, you might need to be on a team. Many teams have sponsorships and scholarships, so find out if some of them do.

Another option is to see if your mom has jobs that you can do to make some extra money. There are always ways to make money.

Sometimes moms say no because they don't want to be bothered with it. Maybe she thinks you aren't responsible enough to really follow through and doesn't want to waste the money. If this is the case, then you have to have a very challenging conversation with her and make her realize how much you want this. Extra chores, grades, cleaning are ways to prove it.

I hope this help. Youth sports are a lot of fun and kids should always be able to join if they want to.

Kids Sports & Recreation

Ron Usher

If you have a question about sports, fitness, activities, and healthy living dealing with kids ages 3 to 18, I can help. I've been coaching and working with coaches, kids and sports for over thirty years. I can also help with questions about adapted PE for kids with disabilities.

Currently adapted physical education teacher for kids with disabilities ages 6 to 22. Swim and water polo coach for 30 years. Worked as a personal trainer to develop athletic skills for kids in a wide variety of sports. Very knowledgeable in strength, conditioning, balance and skill development. I believe sports are great for kids but they don't replace a healthy, active, family lifestyle.

BA physical education, minor in sports psychology. MA in kineseology. Single subject credential in physical education with an adapted PE certificate.