Kids Sports & Recreation/Recreation Activity for 9 year

Question
My son is 9 year old. Pls let me know which sport is good to introduce at this age. He says he is quite good at cricket and now wants to learn football. Should he stick at 1 game or can he try different sports? We have coaching classes of cricket, football,basket ball, tennies, skating available here.

Besides physical activity, which mental activity do u suggest? Is Mental maths coaching suggested at this age (note- he is very good at maths in school)or chess or any other???

Answer
Hi Riya,

I think every child up to the age of 13/14 should do multiple sports and activities. It is best for their development both physical and mental. I believe the more he does the better. When he wants to focus on a few, he will know which ones suit his body and personality.

Some sports require specialization at an early age. Gymnastics is the one that comes to mind. In my opinion (and supported with research), this leads to increased injuries both when they are young and get older. Our bodies were not made to do one activity for hours on end.

As far as mental activities, I am not an expert in this field. Many kids are challenged by participation in their sport. However, chess is a great game. I know here in the US chess is used to improve focus, concentration and thinking skills.

Ron Usher

Kids Sports & Recreation

Ron Usher