Kids Sports & Recreation/kids' exercises

1. can you please help me choosing some daily workouts for my 10 year old fat sister?
2. which cardiovascular workouts or some other types of workouts would be best for maintaining her fitness?

The best workouts are daily moving...walking to start off with. Start of with 20 minutes and see if you can build up to 60 minutes.

Then add hiking and even try to add some running. It is best if you do it with her so she is motivated and has fun. Teasing her and being mean about her weight and size won't help her. Be encouraging.

There is no one type of cardiovascular workout that is best. Once she (and you) have the habit of working out together and having fun then you can add other things like tennis, badminton, swimming, yoga and even body weight training.

She should be active for at least an hour every day. I believe that two to four hours is ideal but it can be tough to do. Also, if she is overweight it probably has a lot to do with her diet.  

Kids Sports & Recreation

Ron Usher

If you have a question about sports, fitness, activities, and healthy living dealing with kids ages 3 to 18, I can help. I've been coaching and working with coaches, kids and sports for over thirty years. I can also help with questions about adapted PE for kids with disabilities.

Currently adapted physical education teacher for kids with disabilities ages 6 to 22. Swim and water polo coach for 30 years. Worked as a personal trainer to develop athletic skills for kids in a wide variety of sports. Very knowledgeable in strength, conditioning, balance and skill development. I believe sports are great for kids but they don't replace a healthy, active, family lifestyle.

BA physical education, minor in sports psychology. MA in kineseology. Single subject credential in physical education with an adapted PE certificate.