Kitchen Design/Remodeling/modifying cabinet for OTR microwave

bhowle45 wrote at 2013-09-14 14:22:29
I had a similar problem.  My microwave was too close to my stove top.  Excess heat and moisture from stove top cooking caused the microwave to fail.  So during the repair process I decided to cut 4" out of the height of my over the stove cabinet.  I determined that the best way to do this was to take down the cabinet and then do the modifications.  I found it to be attached by 6 screws, 2 on the back side connected to the wall studs and 2 on each side connected to the adjacent cabinets.  The latter 4 screws may have been installed through the cabinet frame or, as in my case, through the cabinet side walls. If they are not visible, a magnet can be used to locate them.  So with all 6 screws removed, I was able to work the cabinet loose and remove it from the wall.  I used a skill saw (with fined-tooth blade) and a straight edge jig to cut out the top front horizontal strip, which was to be reinstalled.  I then used a table saw (with fined-tooth blade) to cut 4" from the top of the cabinet, cutting one side at a time.  I placed the previously mentioned cross piece across the top front of the cabinet to mark a line for cutting the vertical center strip and then reinstalled this cross strip. Without going into too much detail, I reinforced the inside of the cabinet frame's top with some strips of molding and reinstalled the top hardboard. Before mounting the cabinet, I used metal snips to cut 4" off the exhaust duct. Finally, I reinstalled the cabinet and my microwave.  It's a much better installation.  I'm still working on shortening the cabinet doors.

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Scott A.