Kitchen Design/Remodeling/replacing kitchen sink

We currently have a Kohler double porcelain sink and want to replace it with a single sink.  Our current sink measures (OD)
31 7/8 X 21 7/8 and we want to replace it with a sink that measures(OD) 33 X 22.  For a difference overall of 1/8 on depth and width, will we have to adjust the opening at all?

Hi Janet, thank you for your question.  You stated that your existing sink was 31 7/8" wide, and the new was 33, but there was only a 1/8" difference.  Assuming you meant that your existing sink was 32 7/8", then it is unlikely that you will have to adjust your sink opening to accommodate another drop-in style kitchen sink.  If it is in fact 1 1/8" difference in width, there is a possibility that the opening will need to be adjusted.  I don't foresee any issue at all with the depth #again, assuming only a 1/8" difference#.

You did not mention what type of material your countertop is made of.  I am assuming a laminate material over a wood substrate.  If that is true - I wouldn't be too concerned about having to adjust the opening.  I say that because even if everything fits length x width... there may be an adjustment to be made in the corners.  Some sinks have an odd size radius in the corners, but this is a rare occurrence.  

Good luck with your project.  Hope all goes well.  Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Scott A.

I can answer questions regarding the kitchen & bath design process. My specialty is problem solving and advising clients about realistic expectations and proper procedures. Please feel free to use this forum for fact gathering and overall questions about the remodeling process and how to get started. I take special pride in solving unique design issues (issues unrelated to interior design).

I am the general manager of a kitchen & bath design showroom that offers complete sales, design, and installation services. Our products include cabinets, countertops, flooring, and appliances.

I have been working in the field of kitchen & bath design since receiving my B.S. degree in Architecture in 1992. I also own my own residential home design company, and have been designing custom homes for local builders since 1993.