Kitchen Design/Remodeling/Replace Gas cooktop with free standing range

My mother has a very old wall oven (from the 70's) and a 13 year cooktop that she does not like.  She would very much like a free-standing range installed and we are trying to help her as much as we can to accomplish this.  I am wondering if we need to do anything with the gas line for the range?  It is up high (under the existing cooktop) and normally the gas connections are lower for free-standing ranges.  Do we need to move the gas line?

Hi Mary:
You're right, the gas line stub out normally comes out low, usually about 10" from the floor because there is a relief area under the free standing stove at that point. Not always does it stub out there though. When it don't, you can replace the stub if it's too long with a short nipple (yes that's the proper name)that barely protrudes the drywall. Next you put an elbow on it facing down. Now you can hook up the flex gas line to it. The stove will only be 2-3" from the wall.

Don't forget to turn off the gas of course before doing this. The short nipple stub and the elbow is far easier then pulling out all that drywall and using another elbow to turn the pipe back downward, then out.

Is there a 30" base cabinet under the old cooktop? I'm sure you are pulling that out yourself. Keep in mind that base is exactly 30" and the stove is 30". Normally when we put in a new kitchen we leave 30 and 1/4" opening. Unlike a 36" fridge that is actually 35 3/4", the stove is exactly 30. You likely will get it in but with some persuading. What about the counter top? You got that figured out? Probably just a laminate top that you can cut?

With the new stove I highly recommend an over the range micro too. Of course this might involve modifying the cabinet over it.

Hope that helps. Thanks for your question and have a blessed day!!

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Jim Fulloon

Dedicated professional in cabinet sales, design, installation and product knowledge for 30 years ! Extensive experience in every single area of kitchens & baths, TV entertainment centers and home office design. Working with Homeowners, Builders, and managing large new home tracts, product knowledge from wood species to box construction, plumbing, electrical and every part of home construction. Kitchen design, kitchen products, product choices, cabinet brands and levels of quality, 20/20 Vision CAD kitchen design, industry standards, well educated on wood species, wood stains and other finishing products. Familiar with and experience with about 14 major cabinet brands.

Master Cabinet Craftsman Master Kitchen Designer Kitchen Designer for famous movie stars and sports figures More then 6000 kitchens sold and installed over 28 years Thousands of photos to show off with pride Beyond expert in design, box construction and product knowledge Proud member of NKBA (National Kitchen and Bath Assn) Familiar with local codes and requirements. Volunteer with several construction related services/organizations to aid the poor. Previously elected Shop Steward and Safety Officer. Experience working with HUD and City Officials with providing cabinets for Community Redevelopment Block Grant Programs.

My book coming out soon on kitchen designs. Self published.

Ongoing educational classes by the NKBA to maintain and/or earn certifications. Volunteer my valuable free advice in other public forums. 30 years experience in the construction trades with focus on my first love....fine cabinetry.

Kitchen Designer for famous movie stars and sports figures Chosen Kitchen Designer for The Las Vegas Parade of Homes 2007

Celine Dion Mike Tyson Robin Givins Tiger Woods 3 players from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 5 MLB baseball players 2 famous rock Musicians 1 famous Politician