Kitchen Design/Remodeling/grout in ceramic etcing

How do I remove dried grout from the etchings in my ceramictile that was recently put down?  It is a white glaze in the tile themselves and won't come up with soap and water.

Hello, Debra.

There are special products just for removing the haze that you're talking about, available at tile distributors (and big-box stores). The one we've used is from Miracle, called "Heavy Duty Acidic Cleaner".

It's VERY important to follow the directions exactly. The room (and adjacent rooms) should be well-ventilated, and the person doing the work should wear special protective eyeglasses, a mask, heavy-duty gloves, and coveralls that will prevent the liquid from getting/sitting on the skin. If any of the liquid gets on the skin, the area should be washed immediately.

Good luck!

Diane Plesset, CMKBD, NCIDQ, C.A.P.S.
D. P. Design

P.S.  If you feel that I answered your question, please consider awarding me points for my knowledge, courtesy, etc. You can also nominate me for "volunteer of the month". Thank you!  

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Diane Plesset

I will answer questions about kitchen design, remodeling: appliances, cabinets, countertops, lighting/switching, accessible kitchens, kitchens for multiple cooks, kitchen trends, flooring, windows and doors, ventilation, safety, function, and style.

25+ years as a kitchen designer; over 10 years as a Certified Master Kitchen-Bath Designer. Hundreds of projects completed, in all styles, all ranges of investment. Multiple design awards and published articles (see below). Public speaker and lecturer about home remodeling. Co-host of a local radio program for over three years, currently the host of "Today's Home" on Lifetime WebRadio every Sunday afternoon (website:

NKBA (National Kitchen and Bath Association); NAHB (National Association of Home Builders); PRO (Portland Remodelers' Organization); IDPC (Interior Design Protection Council)

"THE Survival Guide: Home Remodeling" (book published in 2003), Gentry Magazine, Designers' Illustrated Magazine, Interior Coordinator Magazine (Japan); San Jose Mercury News, San Mateo Times, San Francisco Chronicle, Oregonian, Statesman Journal Newspapers.

Multiple degrees, including bathroom design, kitchen design, lighting design, and residential interior design. Classes and seminars attended frequently, to maintain current knowledge about products, trends, codes, and technology.

Multiple certifications: Certified Master Kitchen-Bath Designer (NKBA), Certified Interior Designer (NCIDQ, National Council of Interior Design Qualification), and Certified Aging-In-Place Specialist (NAHB). Awards include: Henry Adams Designer of the Year, CoTY, Master Design, Chrysalis, Best of the Best, Excellence (Best home in its category), and NABE (Best how-to book, 2003).

To see photos of completed projects, please visit my website: