Kitchen Design/Remodeling/sink material

Question
QUESTION: I'm trying to determine what material my kitchen sink is made of - it is a creamy white and looks like either enamel or porcelain.  I want to know so I know how to clean it.  Any ideas for how to determine the material it's made of? Thanks

ANSWER: Patty,
By tapping on the sides you may be able to tell if it feels and sounds like plastic or porcelain.
You can also look up from under the cabinet to see if it is cast iron, it will be metal and black. If it is a resin or composite sink it will be the same color from the bottom as the color on the top side.
Hope this helps.
Torin

QUESTION: The bottom is black with white speckles.  We tapped on the top and it does not sound plastic.  The cream colored coating on the sink has come off in some areas and you can see black below it.  So, I guess we need to know what the coating is.  Is there such thing as a porcelain-coated sink and the rest being non-porcelain?  Thanks very much.

Answer
It sounds like a cast iron sink with a porcelain coating. These are very difficult to repair. You may need to think about replacing it.
There are companies that specialize in re- coating bathtubs with an acrylic coating. You may want to look for a local company and see if they can repair sinks.  

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Torin Dixon