Kitchen Design/Remodeling/Quartz island support

We are building a new house soon. Our kitchen design has a large island. It is 8' long and 3' wide. The cabinets will span 44' inches and then there will be seating at the opposite end, on both sides. The seating area is 54'. My question is, do I need to have a supporting vertical frame under the countertop in the seating area to support the countertop? My kitchen designer feels we need a full center support from countertop to floor on the entire 54 inches. It also has a flat support wall on the end. I was hoping to have an open area for feet, at the seating area. Is this an option?

Hi Sherri. I'm not completely sure what you mean but I can tell you the standards we go by. While Kitchen Designers sometimes draw kitchens having counter top overhangs extending over 14", the granite guys will holler and often refuse to do it.

Granite or Quartz generally do not require any support up to about 14". At about 12" the granite guy is showing nervousness. At 14 to 16" I'd be using 12" corbels. Once the overhang reaches 20" you should have a full vertical leg supporting it.

Some say go from 5/8" subtop to 3/4" to strengthen it but that is worse for other reasons. The granite edge is about 5/8" thick. If you use thicker plywood sub top then the edge of the plywood would stick out like a sore thumb.

If I was not completely clear then feel free to ask away.

Good luck!!

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Jim Fulloon

Dedicated professional in cabinet sales, design, installation and product knowledge for 30 years ! Extensive experience in every single area of kitchens & baths, TV entertainment centers and home office design. Working with Homeowners, Builders, and managing large new home tracts, product knowledge from wood species to box construction, plumbing, electrical and every part of home construction. Kitchen design, kitchen products, product choices, cabinet brands and levels of quality, 20/20 Vision CAD kitchen design, industry standards, well educated on wood species, wood stains and other finishing products. Familiar with and experience with about 14 major cabinet brands.

Master Cabinet Craftsman Master Kitchen Designer Kitchen Designer for famous movie stars and sports figures More then 6000 kitchens sold and installed over 28 years Thousands of photos to show off with pride Beyond expert in design, box construction and product knowledge Proud member of NKBA (National Kitchen and Bath Assn) Familiar with local codes and requirements. Volunteer with several construction related services/organizations to aid the poor. Previously elected Shop Steward and Safety Officer. Experience working with HUD and City Officials with providing cabinets for Community Redevelopment Block Grant Programs.

My book coming out soon on kitchen designs. Self published.

Ongoing educational classes by the NKBA to maintain and/or earn certifications. Volunteer my valuable free advice in other public forums. 30 years experience in the construction trades with focus on my first love....fine cabinetry.

Kitchen Designer for famous movie stars and sports figures Chosen Kitchen Designer for The Las Vegas Parade of Homes 2007

Celine Dion Mike Tyson Robin Givins Tiger Woods 3 players from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 5 MLB baseball players 2 famous rock Musicians 1 famous Politician