Kitchen Design/Remodeling/Appliance placement

Question
Is it ok to put your refrigerator next to your standing range without any significant margin of space between? Are there any safety or product damage issues? Is the norm of separation strictly for the aesthetic value?

Answer
Hello Doug - thank you for your question.  I'm sorry for the delay, but this was sent to my spam box and I just found it today.

The space between a free-standing range and a refrigerator can be important for aesthetics, convenience, functionality, and safety.  The safety restrictions are generally dictated by the installation manual from the range manufacturer and your local building codes.  A gas range will require more space than an electric range - but typically the space is measured between the range and a flammable surface.  The steel side of a refrigerator would qualify as non-flammable.
Aside from the safety issue related to an flammable surface - the other reasons I mentioned (aesthetics, convenience, functionality) are personal choice issues for you.  If you have no other space to allow separation, and there are no code issues, then putting them next to each other is something that happens on occasion.

Once again, I apologize for the email issue and I hope this helps with your situation.
Thanks,
- Scott

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Scott A.