Kitchen Design/Remodeling/Kitchen sink sizing (replacement)?

Question
Hi Diane -
We want to replace our current kitchen sink (undermount) but need help determining the proper size of the new/replacement sink.  

Here are the current measurements and other notes:
Counter is granite

Hole for current sink - undermounted - is 32" wide by 21" long (depth is 9")

The gap (counter top) between back of the sink and wall is 2.5"

Gap (conter top) btwn front of sink and edge of counter is 2"

What size sink should we consider buying?  And, are we locked into undermount or can we consider over counter mount?  Knowing our limitations will greatly help finding the right sink.  Thanks very much.

Answer
Hello, Len.

There's more to the equation, but I'm going to try to answer your question. Two pieces of information I don't have: the interior (side-to-side) dimensions of the sink cabinet, and if the granite countertop is seamless.

You have three options to remove the existing sink, but making the decision about which option is best requires an experienced countertop fabricator. Your options are:

(1)Cut up the existing under-mount sink and carefully remove it in pieces; (2) Cut a hole in the countertop to cut out the sink (33"x22" + 1/4"-1/2"); or (3) Lift the countertop and remove the existing sink from the underside (if the countertop is a single slab with no seams and no peninsula returns).

If there's a larger hole in the countertop, you're going to have to find a top-mount sink that has a larger rim to hide the hole and provide sufficient support for the sink. As you're looking for a replacement sink, consider the weight of the sink (and the disposal, if you use one), the support requirements, and limitations about how much weight the rim can carry over the hole. If you select a larger sink,the overall size of the sink by itself (without the rim) is limited by the interior cabinet dimensions.

This is not a D-I-Y project, nor is it a first-time project for a contractor. It requires special tools to cut out the existing sink, and requires someone with special experience who's done this before. Words of caution before you hire someone: Ask questions about their experience, and how they intend to do the project; don't hire the low bidder just because they provide the low bid, and don't hire the high bidder expecting to get a superior job. And check references.

Good luck with your new sink. Hope you get the results you want!

Diane Plesset, CMKBD, NCIDQ, C.A.P.S.
D. P. Design  

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Diane Plesset