Kitchen Design/Remodeling/Sealed marble backsplash has smudges all over it

Question
Hello, We had a marble backsplash installed in our kitchen and had quite a few problems with the installer; he had to return several times to fix problems (wavy seams, chipped tiles, etc.)  A couple of months later, we noticed that when the sun hit the tiles, you could see that the surface is covered with swirling smudge marks.  I know the installer sealed the tile so we're thinking he sealed it when it was dirty with dried grout.  We tried cleaning it with a stone cleaner, but it made no difference. When the under counter lighting is on, the marble looks great, but when the lighting is off and the natural light hits it, it just looks terrible.  Can a professional installer unseal the tile, clean it and reseal it?  Thank you for your assistance.

Answer
Ronnie,
Sorry to hear about the problems you have had with the backsplash. I'm sure it has been quite frustrating.

Yes, you can remove existing sealers, and I believe you have nailed it! The stone was likely sealed without properly cleaning and preparing it for sealers.

I would suggest using a Sealer Stripper like HMK R54 Stripper

This will remove existing sealers and clean all residue leaving the stone in its natural condition ready for a proper application of sealer.

Did you have a natural invisible sealer or a color enhancing sealer?

The best invisible sealer on the planet is HMK S34 Silicone Impregnator. I have used this for more than 30 years and have had great results with it.

If you want a color enhancer to deepen the colors of the stone (like when it is wet) then I would suggest HMK S44 Color Enhancer. This impregnator has extra stain protection elements which is great for a backsplash where food can splatter.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Torin Dixon
800-380-6881

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Torin Dixon