Kitchen Design/Remodeling/Raised Bar

Question
I'm stuck.  I'm trying to build/create ... a raised bar using tile instead of granite.  I have the pony wall built already which is about 8 higher than the counter top.  I'd like to NOT have an overhang on the counter side, but from what I'm seeing a 1 1/2 to 2 inch seems to be the norm.  I wouldn't mind having the bar side over hand equal 10-11 inches, I'm just concerned about the strength of the counter.  Right now it's pretty wiggly and I don't want that. Do I need to increase the width of the wood to 3/4"? What can I do to make it secure without adding legs?

Answer
Shai,
You do not need to have an overhang on the inside if you do not want to. I assume you will be running the tile down the wall/splash?

Regarding the overhang, typical overhang is between 12-18", but you must support it with either an L-bracket that is bolted/screwed to the outside wall and supporting the bottom of the plywood, or, a thicker (1/4" to 5/16") bar stock strap 2" x 12" screwed to the top of your pony wall and the bottom of your plywood notched out, or, use corbels (they make decorative ones) to support the plywood. These three options are in place of legs that go down to the floor.

Best regards,

Torin Dixon

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Torin Dixon