Kitchen Design/Remodeling/Replacing range within exsisting island

Question
I currently have an old jennair model # 88370. it appears to be a a drop in model that has downdraft and a convection oven. the one thing that makes me think it might not be a drop in is the range is raised and kind of sits on top of the cabinet.

First question/ can you tell me is this model is a drop in ?

Second question / Does anyone other than Jennair make a 30" electric drowndraft slide in range with a single convection oven?

I've been searching with little luck. HELP! Thank you very very much!
Grace

Answer
Hello, Grace.

I am not familiar with this particular model. Have never been a fan (excuse the bad pun) of Jenn-Air and other surface-mounted downdrafts, but there isn't an acceptable alternative, unfortunately.

The major differences between a drop-in range and a slide-in (or free-standing) range is how they're installed. Hopefully, you have a slide-in or free-standing range. Here's a link that shows what a drop-in looks like: http://www.ajmadison.com/ajmadison/images/items_large/JD968SKSS.jpg

Drop-in ranges are usually supported by an "apron" at the bottom, and they often overlap the top edge of the countertop. If you have a drop-in range, it might be possible to have a cabinet maker or contractor carefully cut away the apron and the toekick, to open up the space so you can install a slide-in or free-standing range. The raw edges where the cabinet is cut may need to have some finish applied, depending on how tightly the new range fits.

This brings up another point that's very important: Whatever you get to replace the existing range must be as close as possible to the cutout dimensions of your existing range.

Before proceeding with the answer to your second question, I am against ALL surface-mounted downdraft units, because they don't work to pull the cooking odors and particulate matter out of your environment. Several manufacturers (Dacor, GE, Thermador, etc.) used to make ranges with pop-up ventilation, but they've all been discontinued. The only way to get a pop-up downdraft is to add another piece of equipment behind the range, which adds up to 8" of depth. Jenn-Air has done such a good job at branding themself, there's currently no competition. Sorry to say, it seems like you're stuck with Jenn-Air. Here are links where you can see the two Jenn-Air all-electric ranges:

Slide-in smooth-top electric range (unfortunately, they don't make an induction downdraft range) with convection oven: http://jennair.com/appliances/details/JES9800CAS
Slide-in modular electric range (the website says nothing about convection): http://jennair.com/appliances/details/JES9750CAS

I apologize for all of the hyphens in my reply -- think it's a record! Hope this information helps you. Wishing you good luck, and years of good food!

Diane Plesset, CMKBD, NCIDQ, C.A.P.S.
D. P. Design

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Diane Plesset