Kitchen Design/Remodeling/new kitchen cabinets

QUESTION: Hello Jim.  I stumbled across your knowledge in a few posts on forums.  I am in Baltimore Md and am looking to install new kitchen cabinets.  Do you offer quotes?  I can provide you all dimensions and cabinets stuff.  Thanks for your time

ANSWER: I'm on the road, please wait till tonight so that I can sit down and write. Thanks Art!

QUESTION: I can be reached at .  

Thanks again for your quick response

I used to live in the North east and had many many contacts. Most have since closed their curtains forever due to the depressed construction industry. I did not leave the industry but did leave sales. I can only advise you on brands or where not to buy.

At this point, without knowing anything else about your project, my best advice is to see a local kitchen design center. Like a kitchen cabinet store with on staff designers. Make very sure it's not a Chinese cabinet dealer. Yes you can buy an all cherry wood brand new kitchen for $895 from China but these cabinets are so infested with formaldehyde, sulfur and lead, enough to kill small children with yet undeveloped immune systems.

Next thing to stay very clear of is the big box stores. They do not employ Kitchen Designers but they sure do make the consumer think they do. They are just Cashiers or Floor People who were promoted to Special Sales. They are given 3 days training how to design kitchens and thrown out on the floor to sell. They are trained to sell for profit, NOT for maximum design for function and looks. You see your nice new kitchen come alive on the computer screen and have no idea you are being short changed. You don't know because they don't know to tell you!!!

The big box stores sell for full list price or MSRP. You would not pay sticker price on a new car or jewelry so why pay it for cabinets. Ever walk through the mall and there are so many jewelry stores, all with big banners and signs that brag 50% off list, 60% off list, 80% off list. The spread between wholesale and retail is wide in jewelry and is pretty wide with cabinets too. You might search out kitchen design stores that advertise 50% off. These stores are the right choice to purchase but often get you on the installation.

Ideally if you were sharp enough to install yourself you'd be doing well but not everyone can. Expect Professional Installers to charge from $15 per box to $25 per box. I've seen much higher in high cost areas or high rises. A box is any piece which means a stick of scribe or a large pantry or oven cabinet. Each piece is a box count. Often an Installer charges 2 box counts for large pantries or oven cabs.

An easy way to begin is to go to the NKBA web site and find a Certified Kitchen Designer near you. They will guide you all the way through your project from design to purchase to install. The only problem is they usually work with one or two brands and that's it. That is your first place to start, find your brand you like.

Basically a cabinet box is a box is a box. Some use more or less glue, some use staples and some use different scussion brackets. But it's still just a box. Your criteria is to find colors and door styles you like. Also look at the warranty. That is the only major difference between brands. Oh sure you can get a door style on Woodmode and pay $900 for one cabinet box or buy a similar Aristocraft for $200. Your finish quality determines price too. And Woodmode is the best. Who needs it. I still love Merillat or Kraftmaid. After 3 decades I'm with another brand now. Do your research on them all.

I hope I gave you enough information to get you a head start. Good luck to you.

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Jim Fulloon

Dedicated professional in cabinet sales, design, installation and product knowledge for 30 years ! Extensive experience in every single area of kitchens & baths, TV entertainment centers and home office design. Working with Homeowners, Builders, and managing large new home tracts, product knowledge from wood species to box construction, plumbing, electrical and every part of home construction. Kitchen design, kitchen products, product choices, cabinet brands and levels of quality, 20/20 Vision CAD kitchen design, industry standards, well educated on wood species, wood stains and other finishing products. Familiar with and experience with about 14 major cabinet brands.

Master Cabinet Craftsman Master Kitchen Designer Kitchen Designer for famous movie stars and sports figures More then 6000 kitchens sold and installed over 28 years Thousands of photos to show off with pride Beyond expert in design, box construction and product knowledge Proud member of NKBA (National Kitchen and Bath Assn) Familiar with local codes and requirements. Volunteer with several construction related services/organizations to aid the poor. Previously elected Shop Steward and Safety Officer. Experience working with HUD and City Officials with providing cabinets for Community Redevelopment Block Grant Programs.

My book coming out soon on kitchen designs. Self published.

Ongoing educational classes by the NKBA to maintain and/or earn certifications. Volunteer my valuable free advice in other public forums. 30 years experience in the construction trades with focus on my first love....fine cabinetry.

Kitchen Designer for famous movie stars and sports figures Chosen Kitchen Designer for The Las Vegas Parade of Homes 2007

Celine Dion Mike Tyson Robin Givins Tiger Woods 3 players from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 5 MLB baseball players 2 famous rock Musicians 1 famous Politician