Kitchen Design/Remodeling/island top

Question
I am building a kitchen island and am ready to cover the top. I have found a reasonable price on tile. I have never done a counter top, much less one in tile. I have borrowed a ceramic tile cutter. Is this something that is as durable and nice looking as I am hoping for? What is better, tile or formica? I have a cutting board so the will no cutting on the surface. I intend to use it mainly for food prep, such as blenders, toasters, and other light kitchen appliances. I am using 1.5 inch thick wood for the top. Do I need to lay down some kind of base for the tile, and if so, what kind? Thank you so very much for your time...........Phil

Answer
Hi Phil,
Tile is more durable than Formica. The easiest way is to lay down cement backer board over your wood sub top. You should be able to find a video on YouTube that shows all the steps for setting tile. It is not terribly difficult, but is not easy to describe by writing alone. Watching videos is better.
Good luck.
Torin

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Torin Dixon