Kitchen Design/Remodeling/island top

I am building a kitchen island and am ready to cover the top. I have found a reasonable price on tile. I have never done a counter top, much less one in tile. I have borrowed a ceramic tile cutter. Is this something that is as durable and nice looking as I am hoping for? What is better, tile or formica? I have a cutting board so the will no cutting on the surface. I intend to use it mainly for food prep, such as blenders, toasters, and other light kitchen appliances. I am using 1.5 inch thick wood for the top. Do I need to lay down some kind of base for the tile, and if so, what kind? Thank you so very much for your time...........Phil

Hi Phil,
Tile is more durable than Formica. The easiest way is to lay down cement backer board over your wood sub top. You should be able to find a video on YouTube that shows all the steps for setting tile. It is not terribly difficult, but is not easy to describe by writing alone. Watching videos is better.
Good luck.

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Torin Dixon

All questions regarding fabrication and installation of natural stone tile and slab countertops, flooring, backsplash. All questions related to cleaning, sealing and stain removal of natural stone surfaces. All questions on importing process and selection of natural stone slabs and pricing issues. Granite, Marble, Limestone, Slate, Travertine, Onyx, Tile, Quartz countertops, Silestone, Eco Cannot answer questions on cabinet construction

Expert in traditional hand methods of natural stone fabrication. Expert in modern manufacturing techniques using latest machinery and equipment. Consultant of shop layout, design, and workflow analysis. Consultant of job costing, pricing structures, bidding processes of natural stone fabrication manufacturing. Expert in specifying stone maintenance cleaners and sealers Expert in stone restoration, stain removal and damage repair.

Former Vice Chairman of the Missoula Design Review Board advisory committee to the City of Missoula, Montana City Council National Association of Home Builders member Missoula Building Industry Association member Billings Home Builders Association member Bitterroot Building Association member Marble Institute of America member President-Tyler Boshae Foundation President-Club Twitch

Slippery Rock Gazette -Dimensional Stone Trade Magazine

Journeyman Marble Mason, Bricklayers & Allied Craftsmen, Los Angeles, CA 1978

Numerous Parade of Homes winner as fabricator and installation contractor of granite and stone countertops and backsplash

Thousands of residential and commercial clients from simple bathroom countertops in private homes to granite exterior cladding on high-rise buildings over a 34 year career.