Kitchen Design/Remodeling/kitchen granite countertop

counter top
counter top  
QUESTION: I have had this counter top for two years -- the installer said that he sealed it when he put it in and I resealed it last year, yet there is a terrible looking stain on the section that lines the front of the sink  -- see picture.  THe installer said that the rest of the counter top had darkened and that this was the original color -- so I should clean all the counter -- I do not think this is the answer -- I also did not think that a yearly seal was necessary.  THank you for your help

ANSWER: Marietta,
This is a very strange situation. Has the stone always looked like this?
The first thing I would do is clean the granite with HMK R55 Intensive Cleaner to strip off all coatings, polishes and sealers. Then allow to dry to get a better idea of what you are dealing with. You can order this professional grade cleaner at

I would be interested in seeing a progress picture once you use the product. Then we can go from there for the next step.
Best regards,

Torin Dixon

QUESTION: Should I do the whole counter top or just the area I pictured.  And no, it has not looked like this from the beginning, just within the last 6 months

Do you know what sealer was used?
If an acrylic topical sealer was used, the moisture and water from sink may be reacting causing it to turn light. If it was acrylic, then you will need to strip off the sealer with HMK R54 Stripper, followed by R55 Intensive Cleaner.
The entire area should be cleaned.
Best wishes,

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Torin Dixon

All questions regarding fabrication and installation of natural stone tile and slab countertops, flooring, backsplash. All questions related to cleaning, sealing and stain removal of natural stone surfaces. All questions on importing process and selection of natural stone slabs and pricing issues. Granite, Marble, Limestone, Slate, Travertine, Onyx, Tile, Quartz countertops, Silestone, Eco Cannot answer questions on cabinet construction

Expert in traditional hand methods of natural stone fabrication. Expert in modern manufacturing techniques using latest machinery and equipment. Consultant of shop layout, design, and workflow analysis. Consultant of job costing, pricing structures, bidding processes of natural stone fabrication manufacturing. Expert in specifying stone maintenance cleaners and sealers Expert in stone restoration, stain removal and damage repair.

Former Vice Chairman of the Missoula Design Review Board advisory committee to the City of Missoula, Montana City Council National Association of Home Builders member Missoula Building Industry Association member Billings Home Builders Association member Bitterroot Building Association member Marble Institute of America member President-Tyler Boshae Foundation President-Club Twitch

Slippery Rock Gazette -Dimensional Stone Trade Magazine

Journeyman Marble Mason, Bricklayers & Allied Craftsmen, Los Angeles, CA 1978

Numerous Parade of Homes winner as fabricator and installation contractor of granite and stone countertops and backsplash

Thousands of residential and commercial clients from simple bathroom countertops in private homes to granite exterior cladding on high-rise buildings over a 34 year career.