Kitchen Design/Remodeling/cabinet design project

I'm very excited about redesigning my kitchen cabinets... I'm going to decoupage the door-fronts with some vintage posters I found and trim them out with pine molding. I think that the process will go much quicker if I use a nail gun to fasten the moulding to doors, as there are quite a few.  The doors are what I believe to be particle board with melamine veneer, about 5/8" thick.  The moulding I want to install is chair rail moulding and tapered - about 0.6" at it's widest.  

What kind of nail gun and fasteners would you suggest I use? I am looking at a Paslode 16 ga. cordless nailer on Craigslist, but am not sure about nailing into particle board, or what size brads (?) to use.   I am hesitant to glue them in case I need to change them out later.

Many thanks,

Well now Christina, I never had a question like that one. I'm not completely sure of your intention but lets focus on your nail gun question. I never liked the Paslode. The gas cartridges are very expensive and this gun breaks down very often. Consider even if you get a great deal on the Paslode gun, you'll be in for near $50 for a pair of cartridges. I currently use a battery gun by Ryobi. It uses the same 18V battery as the drill which I already had. The gun only cost $129 new. It is 18Ga which I recommend. For small chair rail molding you don't want to use 16Ga as they are just to heavy and may split the delicate molding easier.

Any size pin nail will hold just fine in particle board. Most quality pin nails have a coating of glue on them and the heat created by shooting it into wood melts the glue and then hardens into the wood around the nail. Stay away from cheap pin nails such as the ones in Harbor Freight which are foreign made junk. Needless to say, shoot into the thickest part of the molding and use the right length nail.

Oh yea, a simple trick that even few Finish Carpenters know. The pin nails have a T shaped head. You want to make the T go with the grain. This will lesson almost completely any splitting of delicate moldings. If the T cuts across grain wood fibers it will likely split (especially if it's close to the end of the wood) and it will cause wood fiber lifting on each side of the nail hole which is harder to fill and sand smooth. The T going in the direction of the wood will be so much simpler to putty over.

I hope that helps. Happy home projects.

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Jim Fulloon

Dedicated professional in cabinet sales, design, installation and product knowledge for 30 years ! Extensive experience in every single area of kitchens & baths, TV entertainment centers and home office design. Working with Homeowners, Builders, and managing large new home tracts, product knowledge from wood species to box construction, plumbing, electrical and every part of home construction. Kitchen design, kitchen products, product choices, cabinet brands and levels of quality, 20/20 Vision CAD kitchen design, industry standards, well educated on wood species, wood stains and other finishing products. Familiar with and experience with about 14 major cabinet brands.

Master Cabinet Craftsman Master Kitchen Designer Kitchen Designer for famous movie stars and sports figures More then 6000 kitchens sold and installed over 28 years Thousands of photos to show off with pride Beyond expert in design, box construction and product knowledge Proud member of NKBA (National Kitchen and Bath Assn) Familiar with local codes and requirements. Volunteer with several construction related services/organizations to aid the poor. Previously elected Shop Steward and Safety Officer. Experience working with HUD and City Officials with providing cabinets for Community Redevelopment Block Grant Programs.

My book coming out soon on kitchen designs. Self published.

Ongoing educational classes by the NKBA to maintain and/or earn certifications. Volunteer my valuable free advice in other public forums. 30 years experience in the construction trades with focus on my first love....fine cabinetry.

Kitchen Designer for famous movie stars and sports figures Chosen Kitchen Designer for The Las Vegas Parade of Homes 2007

Celine Dion Mike Tyson Robin Givins Tiger Woods 3 players from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 5 MLB baseball players 2 famous rock Musicians 1 famous Politician