Kitchen Design/Remodeling/Cutting faucet holes in granite counterr

Question
Hello.  I have a new granite counter in my bathroom.  The faucet holes were cut so far back (three inches) that my purchased faucets can hardly get water into the sink.  They are not unusually short, either.  I am searching for the national standard, if there is one, for cutting these holes.  I've been told it's two to two and a half inches, if the granite will bear it (mine would).  I'd appreciate your input.  I would like to work with my contractor to just replace the faucets (we finally found one with a six inch length after some looking...most are 5 inches or less).  

Thank you for your time.

Lucinda

Answer
Lucinda,
I am not aware of any national standard for faucet hole setback. There are many factors including the overhang (for under mount) and the width of the sink rim. 2-1/2" would be minimum, but 3" is common. The fabricator should have factored the length of the faucet neck when drilling holes.
If the base plate of the faucets will allow for coverage, you may be able to drill the holes more forward to get faucet to clear the sink cutout.
Best regards,
Torin

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Torin Dixon