Kitchen Design/Remodeling/Cutting faucet holes in granite counterr

Hello.  I have a new granite counter in my bathroom.  The faucet holes were cut so far back (three inches) that my purchased faucets can hardly get water into the sink.  They are not unusually short, either.  I am searching for the national standard, if there is one, for cutting these holes.  I've been told it's two to two and a half inches, if the granite will bear it (mine would).  I'd appreciate your input.  I would like to work with my contractor to just replace the faucets (we finally found one with a six inch length after some looking...most are 5 inches or less).  

Thank you for your time.

I am not aware of any national standard for faucet hole setback. There are many factors including the overhang (for under mount) and the width of the sink rim. 2-1/2" would be minimum, but 3" is common. The fabricator should have factored the length of the faucet neck when drilling holes.
If the base plate of the faucets will allow for coverage, you may be able to drill the holes more forward to get faucet to clear the sink cutout.
Best regards,

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Torin Dixon

All questions regarding fabrication and installation of natural stone tile and slab countertops, flooring, backsplash. All questions related to cleaning, sealing and stain removal of natural stone surfaces. All questions on importing process and selection of natural stone slabs and pricing issues. Granite, Marble, Limestone, Slate, Travertine, Onyx, Tile, Quartz countertops, Silestone, Eco Cannot answer questions on cabinet construction

Expert in traditional hand methods of natural stone fabrication. Expert in modern manufacturing techniques using latest machinery and equipment. Consultant of shop layout, design, and workflow analysis. Consultant of job costing, pricing structures, bidding processes of natural stone fabrication manufacturing. Expert in specifying stone maintenance cleaners and sealers Expert in stone restoration, stain removal and damage repair.

Former Vice Chairman of the Missoula Design Review Board advisory committee to the City of Missoula, Montana City Council National Association of Home Builders member Missoula Building Industry Association member Billings Home Builders Association member Bitterroot Building Association member Marble Institute of America member President-Tyler Boshae Foundation President-Club Twitch

Slippery Rock Gazette -Dimensional Stone Trade Magazine

Journeyman Marble Mason, Bricklayers & Allied Craftsmen, Los Angeles, CA 1978

Numerous Parade of Homes winner as fabricator and installation contractor of granite and stone countertops and backsplash

Thousands of residential and commercial clients from simple bathroom countertops in private homes to granite exterior cladding on high-rise buildings over a 34 year career.