Kitchen Design/Remodeling/kitchen cabinet project

I'm very excited about redesigning my kitchen cabinets... I'm going to decoupage the door-fronts with some vintage posters I found and trim them out with pine molding. I think that the process will go much quicker if I use a nail gun to fasten the moulding to doors, as there are quite a few.  The doors are what I believe to be particle board with melamine veneer, about 5/8" thick.  The moulding I want to install is chair rail moulding and tapered - about 0.6" at it's widest.  

What kind of nail gun and fasteners would you suggest I use? I am looking at a Paslode 16 ga. cordless nailer on Craigslist, but am not sure about nailing into particle board, or what size brads (?) to use.   I am hesitant to glue them in case I need to change them out later.

Many thanks,

Paslode makes a good product.   The question will be what condition are the doors in.  Particle board can be nailed into but older board will "blow out" sometimes.   If these doors can not be duplicated you may consider predrilling and screwing trim in place.  If that not a concern, get the Paslode and get a nail that will penetrate into the door at least the same depth as the molding it has to pass through.   So if molding 1/2" thick you would get 1" nail.

Hope this helps.

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Craig Alan Berberich

I can answer a variety of questions in reference to proper kitchen & bath design. This can include product options, safety concerns, guidelines, installation and lighting.

I have been in the Kitchen & Bath industry for 21 years. I have experience ranging from design to installation and fabrication. I spent several years as a corporate trainer working with the National Kitchen & Bath Association to train national big box chain. I have had multiple projects featured in national publications, the last of which was Coastal Living Magazine Idea house in Florida.

Coastal Living Magazine, Better Homes & Garden, Kraftmaid Cabinetry Brochure, Dupont Corian National Advertising, Pergo Flooring National Advertising, The Home Depot National Kitchen & Bath Insert

Kansas State University, National Kitchen & Bath Association, 20/20 Design Software, Zig Ziglar Selling Skills, Tony Lowe Sales