Kitchen Design/Remodeling/kitchen cabinet project

Question
Craig,

I'm very excited about redesigning my kitchen cabinets... I'm going to decoupage the door-fronts with some vintage posters I found and trim them out with pine molding. I think that the process will go much quicker if I use a nail gun to fasten the moulding to doors, as there are quite a few.  The doors are what I believe to be particle board with melamine veneer, about 5/8" thick.  The moulding I want to install is chair rail moulding and tapered - about 0.6" at it's widest.  

What kind of nail gun and fasteners would you suggest I use? I am looking at a Paslode 16 ga. cordless nailer on Craigslist, but am not sure about nailing into particle board, or what size brads (?) to use.   I am hesitant to glue them in case I need to change them out later.

Many thanks,

Christina

Answer
Christina,

Paslode makes a good product.   The question will be what condition are the doors in.  Particle board can be nailed into but older board will "blow out" sometimes.   If these doors can not be duplicated you may consider predrilling and screwing trim in place.  If that not a concern, get the Paslode and get a nail that will penetrate into the door at least the same depth as the molding it has to pass through.   So if molding 1/2" thick you would get 1" nail.

Hope this helps.

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Craig Alan Berberich