Kitchen Design/Remodeling/Old double drainboard sink/cabinets

Double drainboard sink
Double drainboard sink  

Double drainboard kitchen sink
Double drainboard kitc  
Hi, I am looking into buying a home and this is the sink that is currently in the kitchen.  I love old/vintage items and would love to keep it, however, I don't have a huge budget to work with.  Could you tell me first, if you're able from the photos, what material the sink is, and also what the process might be to clean it up a bit?  It looks like the previous owner painted the sink and drainboards white, and it is peeling off.  Thanks so much for any help you can give me!

Hi Amanda, thank you for your question.  I have seen these stand alone units before and even incorporated them in to new kitchens when the homeowner wanted to retain, and even highlight some of the original features in the kitchen.  I cannot tell the exact material with 100% certainty from just the picture, but it appears to be enamel over steel.  I have seen some where the base material is actually a cast iron, but the top coat is still some type of enamel.  The closest comparison would be old bath tubs - very durable material, but the finish can eventually wear or chip off.  The cast iron units are MUCH heavier than the steel versions, but both can be re-finished to appear new again.

If you are looking for a do-it-yourself option, you will eventually end up with the same result you have now.  The process should be done by someone in the re-finishing business.  If you've ever watched reality shows like American Restoration, you will know that certain projects should not be done in your backyard.

I have a link to a "This Old House" article that explains the process of refinishing tubs and who you should contact for this type of project.  Your sink restoration is a very similar process and the same companies should be able to help you with making your sink look brand new again.

I hope this helps.  Good luck with your project!,,197046,00.html

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Scott A.

I can answer questions regarding the kitchen & bath design process. My specialty is problem solving and advising clients about realistic expectations and proper procedures. Please feel free to use this forum for fact gathering and overall questions about the remodeling process and how to get started. I take special pride in solving unique design issues (issues unrelated to interior design).

I am the general manager of a kitchen & bath design showroom that offers complete sales, design, and installation services. Our products include cabinets, countertops, flooring, and appliances.

I have been working in the field of kitchen & bath design since receiving my B.S. degree in Architecture in 1992. I also own my own residential home design company, and have been designing custom homes for local builders since 1993.