Kitchen Design/Remodeling/counter top height for stools

I have stools that are 27" to the top of the seat and want to build a breakfast bar, what is the appropriate leg room to the bottom of the breakfast bar? thank you

Hi Steve:

There are only 2 standard heights for a bar. 36 which is any standard countertop and 42....simply called a raised bar. It appears you have the taller bar stool which is much more comfortable and/or more ergonomically perfect with the 42 high countertop. You probably are hitting your knees below your existing counter with your 27" stools.

Build your new breakfast bar at 42 finished height.

You didn't ask but as far as the overhang, known as cantilever, the biggest overhang before the granite guys complain is 12". Even at 10" it is highly recommended to use corbels. Before installing corbels, consider how many bar stools you plan to place under the bar top. I say this because if you have 3 corbels and 3 stools, they sit right under the corbel and your legs bunk into them. Just an odd thing I ask you to think about since no one does till they sit down at the finished product and find discomfort and/or not being able to place the stools in a evenly spaced order. 3 looks nicest, but 2 or 4 will work better with your stool placement.

Ideally I design with 42" high top with a 11 to 12" overhang and NO corbels. I'm only 5-8 and my legs fit perfectly and my stomach is just short of the top's edge. I say that because with shorter overhangs, you will feel like you are too far from your plate of food or drink.

I hope that answers your question and then some.

Blessings my friend

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Jim Fulloon

Dedicated professional in cabinet sales, design, installation and product knowledge for 30 years ! Extensive experience in every single area of kitchens & baths, TV entertainment centers and home office design. Working with Homeowners, Builders, and managing large new home tracts, product knowledge from wood species to box construction, plumbing, electrical and every part of home construction. Kitchen design, kitchen products, product choices, cabinet brands and levels of quality, 20/20 Vision CAD kitchen design, industry standards, well educated on wood species, wood stains and other finishing products. Familiar with and experience with about 14 major cabinet brands.

Master Cabinet Craftsman Master Kitchen Designer Kitchen Designer for famous movie stars and sports figures More then 6000 kitchens sold and installed over 28 years Thousands of photos to show off with pride Beyond expert in design, box construction and product knowledge Proud member of NKBA (National Kitchen and Bath Assn) Familiar with local codes and requirements. Volunteer with several construction related services/organizations to aid the poor. Previously elected Shop Steward and Safety Officer. Experience working with HUD and City Officials with providing cabinets for Community Redevelopment Block Grant Programs.

My book coming out soon on kitchen designs. Self published.

Ongoing educational classes by the NKBA to maintain and/or earn certifications. Volunteer my valuable free advice in other public forums. 30 years experience in the construction trades with focus on my first love....fine cabinetry.

Kitchen Designer for famous movie stars and sports figures Chosen Kitchen Designer for The Las Vegas Parade of Homes 2007

Celine Dion Mike Tyson Robin Givins Tiger Woods 3 players from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 5 MLB baseball players 2 famous rock Musicians 1 famous Politician