Kitchen Design/Remodeling/Knee wall support

Thanks in advance for your help! We're in the midst of a kitchen remodel, and have a question about appropriate knee wall support for a quartz countertop. Currently, there is a 6 foot long knee wall in place; it's topped with a granite countertop supported by steel plates, and both ends dead end into walls (it serves as a breakfast bar). I'm not sure as to the construction specifics of the current knee wall, as we haven't opened it up yet. The floor is cement slab. One of the walls will be removed, leaving us with a peninsula that dead ends only on one end. We will be keeping the steel plates to support the top, and changing the granite to quartz. How should the knee wall be built to give appropriate support, and how should it attach to the cement slab? (I'm assuming we may need to rebuild the knee wall so it will be stronger for our purposes) What is the best way to anchor it to the one remaining wall? Thanks very much for your help!

Thanks for sending me this question.
It seems to me the easiest solution (if you have room on the new open end) is to build a return knee wall perpendicular to the existing wall and tie it into the existing knee wall at the corner. The wall would be framed traditionally and anchored (Redhead) into the slab at the bottom into the slab. The new Quartz would have to be larger on the open end to cover the return wall and have an appropriate overhang. The existing metal supports would then be tied into the new knee wall somehow for additional anchoring if possible, but not necessary, as the new countertop when adhered, would also help tie things together.
I hope this helps, and if so, I would appreciate you rating my advice.
Have a good weekend in sunny Florida. This week, on Tuesday, it was -3 when I went to work here in Montana :-)

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Torin Dixon

All questions regarding fabrication and installation of natural stone tile and slab countertops, flooring, backsplash. All questions related to cleaning, sealing and stain removal of natural stone surfaces. All questions on importing process and selection of natural stone slabs and pricing issues. Granite, Marble, Limestone, Slate, Travertine, Onyx, Tile, Quartz countertops, Silestone, Eco Cannot answer questions on cabinet construction

Expert in traditional hand methods of natural stone fabrication. Expert in modern manufacturing techniques using latest machinery and equipment. Consultant of shop layout, design, and workflow analysis. Consultant of job costing, pricing structures, bidding processes of natural stone fabrication manufacturing. Expert in specifying stone maintenance cleaners and sealers Expert in stone restoration, stain removal and damage repair.

Former Vice Chairman of the Missoula Design Review Board advisory committee to the City of Missoula, Montana City Council National Association of Home Builders member Missoula Building Industry Association member Billings Home Builders Association member Bitterroot Building Association member Marble Institute of America member President-Tyler Boshae Foundation President-Club Twitch

Slippery Rock Gazette -Dimensional Stone Trade Magazine

Journeyman Marble Mason, Bricklayers & Allied Craftsmen, Los Angeles, CA 1978

Numerous Parade of Homes winner as fabricator and installation contractor of granite and stone countertops and backsplash

Thousands of residential and commercial clients from simple bathroom countertops in private homes to granite exterior cladding on high-rise buildings over a 34 year career.