Kitchen Design/Remodeling/Vanity and Sink Size

Question
QUESTION: We are remodeling our master bath.  We will have an 84" vanity countertop with tower cabinets on top of 9" wide.  Our sinks will be undermounted.  

What right to left ("length" according to Kohler) would be a good size of cutout for this configuration.  We are looking at the Kohler Caxton.  We can get the 17" cutout or 15" cutout.

Thank you.

ANSWER: Carolyn I'm sorry but I do not completely understand your question. I'll give it a try based on what I think your asking but you're welcome to elaborate on what I've written here.

You said your top is 9' but the counter 7'. Maybe you mean 7' long between towers which would be 12" towers? As a general rule, if there is not 6' of counter space than you should stick with just one sink bowl but that's not written in stone. It's an ergonomic consideration.

Don't that sink model come in 19" too? I always recommend the larger one. You will be happier in the end with the larger bowl.

Your two 12" towers, one on each side. They are awesome to have but a 12' wide tower cabinet yields you a 9" opening. Not very accessible. Consider just one on your side but make it a tad wider. I know, 2 look really nice. Consider a wider one like 15 or 18" in the middle and do a sink on each end. I have done that many times over the years. The more I think of this, the more I want to recommend it to you.

If I didn't cover your question completely then feel free to write me back. Good luck to you my friend.

Jim

QUESTION: Does sound like some confusion with what I wrote:  the countertop has a length of 84" or 7 ft including the space that the towers sit on.    The exterior of the two towers are 10" wide.  The towers are great and look great with the proportion of the space.  They have spice rack types of pull outs. Good size.   They are for smaller items like medicines and other bottles that liter the top of a vanity to be convenient. Don't like middle towers. My question wasn't about the towers since we already had that worked out.  My question as about the sink size for double sinks in the 5 ft of space between towers.  

Given the space and that we do want some countertop, that is where the size of the bowls comes into play.  We had gotten ones with 17" across and they look so big for he space.  Still not quite sure about the size of the sinks but need to decide by Monday for the cut outs of our countertop.

Thank you.

Answer
I'm not as much involved in selections in product design anymore but I remember 15, 17 and 19" bowls. I always encourage people to go with the largest you can fit. 19 works best on deeper real custom vanities since standard vanities are 21" + 1" and a 19 would leave little left. So my advice probably agrees with yours. Go 17". Today they sell all kinds if strange shapes. Go with one that is that 17 deep but extra wide. You may find those odd sizes are very costly.

A small sink bowl creates more possibility to make a mess. Many people throw water into their face and that leaves much water that never finds it's way back to the sink bowl. Which leads to water stains and mess on the top because most people don't wipe it up. This is an unwritten reason no design book will tell you but can only come from  someone with a whole lot of experience. Go with the larger bowl.

Good luck!
Jim

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Jim Fulloon