Kitchen Design/Remodeling/tile over laminate flooring??

I'm going to tile my 80 square foot kitchen floor, and did a little exploring today.  It seems there is ceramic tile installed on top of laminate flooring, with a plywood substrate.  I'd really rather not replace the plywood if I can help it. Should I try to remove the laminate flooring and the tile, or would removing just the tile be sufficient?  Is there an easy way to do either?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the question.  I'm afraid you won't really know which way to go until you start pulling up tiles. The previous install will dictate if the vinyl and plywood is damaded.  The previous preperation and materials will be determining factor.

Now, best way to remove and not damage vinyl, go SLOW.  Crack one or two tiles (wear goggles) so you can get a small pry bar in between and under tiles to pull up. Then use a rigid scraping blade at low angle to remove thine from vinyl.

Can't wait to hear how project turns out.

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Craig Alan Berberich

I can answer a variety of questions in reference to proper kitchen & bath design. This can include product options, safety concerns, guidelines, installation and lighting.

I have been in the Kitchen & Bath industry for 21 years. I have experience ranging from design to installation and fabrication. I spent several years as a corporate trainer working with the National Kitchen & Bath Association to train national big box chain. I have had multiple projects featured in national publications, the last of which was Coastal Living Magazine Idea house in Florida.

Coastal Living Magazine, Better Homes & Garden, Kraftmaid Cabinetry Brochure, Dupont Corian National Advertising, Pergo Flooring National Advertising, The Home Depot National Kitchen & Bath Insert

Kansas State University, National Kitchen & Bath Association, 20/20 Design Software, Zig Ziglar Selling Skills, Tony Lowe Sales