Kitchen Design/Remodeling/tile over laminate flooring??

I'm going to tile my 80 square foot kitchen floor, and did a little exploring today.  It seems there is ceramic tile installed on top of laminate flooring, with a plywood substrate.  I'd really rather not replace the plywood if I can help it. Should I try to remove the laminate flooring and the tile, or would removing just the tile be sufficient?  Is there an easy way to do either?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I just wrote a whole page for you and then my laptop crashed and I lost it all. So I will keep it short and too the point as I try to repeat all the good information I lost.

Do you mean laminate flooring as in the fake wood planks? I ask that because many improperly describe and name it. Often, but not always this type of flooring is not glued but rather is floating. If this is the case, removing it is a breeze and you will not damage the plywood.

If it is glued, you will very likely destroy the top ply on the plywood. An easy fix is to glue and screw quarter inch plywood sub floor over it. This will give you a new smooth surface to begin your new tile job. Years ago we used to do this with Masonite which basically does the same thing but is thinner. I recommend good 3 or 4 ply plywood. Use liquid nails or other floor glue to lay it down and use short wood screws and make sure they are counter sunk below the surface obviously.

Short and sweet I hope this gives you a start. If I did not cover something, please write back.

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Jim Fulloon

Dedicated professional in cabinet sales, design, installation and product knowledge for 30 years ! Extensive experience in every single area of kitchens & baths, TV entertainment centers and home office design. Working with Homeowners, Builders, and managing large new home tracts, product knowledge from wood species to box construction, plumbing, electrical and every part of home construction. Kitchen design, kitchen products, product choices, cabinet brands and levels of quality, 20/20 Vision CAD kitchen design, industry standards, well educated on wood species, wood stains and other finishing products. Familiar with and experience with about 14 major cabinet brands.

Master Cabinet Craftsman Master Kitchen Designer Kitchen Designer for famous movie stars and sports figures More then 6000 kitchens sold and installed over 28 years Thousands of photos to show off with pride Beyond expert in design, box construction and product knowledge Proud member of NKBA (National Kitchen and Bath Assn) Familiar with local codes and requirements. Volunteer with several construction related services/organizations to aid the poor. Previously elected Shop Steward and Safety Officer. Experience working with HUD and City Officials with providing cabinets for Community Redevelopment Block Grant Programs.

My book coming out soon on kitchen designs. Self published.

Ongoing educational classes by the NKBA to maintain and/or earn certifications. Volunteer my valuable free advice in other public forums. 30 years experience in the construction trades with focus on my first love....fine cabinetry.

Kitchen Designer for famous movie stars and sports figures Chosen Kitchen Designer for The Las Vegas Parade of Homes 2007

Celine Dion Mike Tyson Robin Givins Tiger Woods 3 players from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 5 MLB baseball players 2 famous rock Musicians 1 famous Politician