Kitchen Design/Remodeling/crown molding

I have a combination kitchen and dining area that has white crown molding that matches the trim around the bay windows, French doors, etc.  We recently had a guy build us cabinets that have areas that go all the way to the ceiling and all the cabinets have crown molding.  The cabinets are canvas colored with coffee glaze.  The existing molding is white and they don't match.  My husband said to make all the molding match the cabinets, but then it won't match the other molding and chair rail in the dining area which is viewed from the living room (L-shaped).  I say either keep the white crown molding white and the cabinets stand on their own or get rid of the crown molding that isn't the cabinets.  Help!

Hi Michele:

I've seen this situation a whole lot of times over the years. Your husbands idea is a common one but there is one big problem with that. Cabinet grade crown moldings rarely come in lengths over 8'. I've seen 10s but it's not common and when a cabinet company has them, they sell it at a premium. You said someone made the cabinets, well that scares me but that could be good since they bought long lengths of raw crown at any length which you can do to match. Let me clear that last part up. Cabinets from major manufacturers use industry standards, with those standards, trim lengths are rare over 8'. When one builds their own cabinets, anything is available in any length.

Oh, I complain about short lengths because seams are a major curse. Your ultimate goal is no seams or splices.

My other suggestion is stopping the wall crown short of the cabinets that go to the ceiling and returning it back in. So the long point is touching the cabinet and then turned back in. See this link:

I can also side with you to get rid of the wall crown molding. I have seen people cope the cabinet stained molding into the wall painted molding but it is difficult if the molding profile is very different. It's a tough situation that should have been thought of before they were installed but that's all water under the bridge. What do you think of stopping the wall crown and returning it back in as in the picture?  

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Jim Fulloon

Dedicated professional in cabinet sales, design, installation and product knowledge for 30 years ! Extensive experience in every single area of kitchens & baths, TV entertainment centers and home office design. Working with Homeowners, Builders, and managing large new home tracts, product knowledge from wood species to box construction, plumbing, electrical and every part of home construction. Kitchen design, kitchen products, product choices, cabinet brands and levels of quality, 20/20 Vision CAD kitchen design, industry standards, well educated on wood species, wood stains and other finishing products. Familiar with and experience with about 14 major cabinet brands.

Master Cabinet Craftsman Master Kitchen Designer Kitchen Designer for famous movie stars and sports figures More then 6000 kitchens sold and installed over 28 years Thousands of photos to show off with pride Beyond expert in design, box construction and product knowledge Proud member of NKBA (National Kitchen and Bath Assn) Familiar with local codes and requirements. Volunteer with several construction related services/organizations to aid the poor. Previously elected Shop Steward and Safety Officer. Experience working with HUD and City Officials with providing cabinets for Community Redevelopment Block Grant Programs.

My book coming out soon on kitchen designs. Self published.

Ongoing educational classes by the NKBA to maintain and/or earn certifications. Volunteer my valuable free advice in other public forums. 30 years experience in the construction trades with focus on my first love....fine cabinetry.

Kitchen Designer for famous movie stars and sports figures Chosen Kitchen Designer for The Las Vegas Parade of Homes 2007

Celine Dion Mike Tyson Robin Givins Tiger Woods 3 players from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 5 MLB baseball players 2 famous rock Musicians 1 famous Politician