Kitchen Design/Remodeling/Travertine countertops

We were thinking of using travertine for our kitchen countertops. We have heard that this product is not suitable for countertops due to it's pourous nature.  What is your opinion.

Travertine countertops can be a good option as long as you understand the limitations of the stone.
I would not suggest having a polished surface, rather a honed surface is recommended, or if you like the texture, a tumbled or brushed surface finish.

Travertine is a calcium based stone, so it is sensitive to acids and high alkaline liquids. This is why a polished surface is not suggested as it will etch or burn the polish. Also, as you mentioned, it is a porous stone, so it does need to be sealed with a professional grade impregnating sealer. I suggest using a product like HMK S234 Impregnator.

I welcome further questions, but travertine can be a suitable option. Of course granite is less sensitive to acids and this is why it is a highly recommended surface, as is quartz countertops.

Best regards,

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Torin Dixon

All questions regarding fabrication and installation of natural stone tile and slab countertops, flooring, backsplash. All questions related to cleaning, sealing and stain removal of natural stone surfaces. All questions on importing process and selection of natural stone slabs and pricing issues. Granite, Marble, Limestone, Slate, Travertine, Onyx, Tile, Quartz countertops, Silestone, Eco Cannot answer questions on cabinet construction

Expert in traditional hand methods of natural stone fabrication. Expert in modern manufacturing techniques using latest machinery and equipment. Consultant of shop layout, design, and workflow analysis. Consultant of job costing, pricing structures, bidding processes of natural stone fabrication manufacturing. Expert in specifying stone maintenance cleaners and sealers Expert in stone restoration, stain removal and damage repair.

Former Vice Chairman of the Missoula Design Review Board advisory committee to the City of Missoula, Montana City Council National Association of Home Builders member Missoula Building Industry Association member Billings Home Builders Association member Bitterroot Building Association member Marble Institute of America member President-Tyler Boshae Foundation President-Club Twitch

Slippery Rock Gazette -Dimensional Stone Trade Magazine

Journeyman Marble Mason, Bricklayers & Allied Craftsmen, Los Angeles, CA 1978

Numerous Parade of Homes winner as fabricator and installation contractor of granite and stone countertops and backsplash

Thousands of residential and commercial clients from simple bathroom countertops in private homes to granite exterior cladding on high-rise buildings over a 34 year career.