Kitchen Design/Remodeling/Installing granite slab to brick

roughed in brick
roughed in brick  
I am "attempting" to complete an outdoor grilling area and have a question about attaching the granite slab to brick. My question is can I simply glue the granite to the brick. The brick is still rough finished but it is level across, the bricks are definitely not smooth or finished. Would it be easier/better to go with plywood top? If so, how do I attach the wood to brick. If not, what is the best way to attach the granite to the brick? I have attached a photo of the brick island. Thanks!

You can certainly attach directly to the brick. I would use a premium thinset mortar. Look for a thinset mortar with an ANSI 118.14 rating.
Make sure there is complete coverage on the brick to insure proper support.

Best regards,

Kitchen Design/Remodeling

Torin Dixon

All questions regarding fabrication and installation of natural stone tile and slab countertops, flooring, backsplash. All questions related to cleaning, sealing and stain removal of natural stone surfaces. All questions on importing process and selection of natural stone slabs and pricing issues. Granite, Marble, Limestone, Slate, Travertine, Onyx, Tile, Quartz countertops, Silestone, Eco Cannot answer questions on cabinet construction

Expert in traditional hand methods of natural stone fabrication. Expert in modern manufacturing techniques using latest machinery and equipment. Consultant of shop layout, design, and workflow analysis. Consultant of job costing, pricing structures, bidding processes of natural stone fabrication manufacturing. Expert in specifying stone maintenance cleaners and sealers Expert in stone restoration, stain removal and damage repair.

Former Vice Chairman of the Missoula Design Review Board advisory committee to the City of Missoula, Montana City Council National Association of Home Builders member Missoula Building Industry Association member Billings Home Builders Association member Bitterroot Building Association member Marble Institute of America member President-Tyler Boshae Foundation President-Club Twitch

Slippery Rock Gazette -Dimensional Stone Trade Magazine

Journeyman Marble Mason, Bricklayers & Allied Craftsmen, Los Angeles, CA 1978

Numerous Parade of Homes winner as fabricator and installation contractor of granite and stone countertops and backsplash

Thousands of residential and commercial clients from simple bathroom countertops in private homes to granite exterior cladding on high-rise buildings over a 34 year career.