Knitting/Casting Off in Rib

Question
Hello. What does it mean to cast off in Rib? I am casting off the side of my cardigan to do the button holes and it says to cast off in rib but I am a beginner and dont understand this. Please advise. Many thanks.

Answer
Hi Jessie

Thank you so much for your question.

Casting off in rib, whilst a little more time consuming, really is exactly as the instruction suggests.

It simply means, whilst you work your last row in normal rib stitch, you cast off as you complete each stitch.

For example if your first 6 stitches are knit purl knit purl knit purl, you would knit the first stitch, purl the second and then pull the knit stitch over the purled stitch. then knit the next stitch and pu;; the purled stitch over that knit stitch and so forth until you have finished the row and have one stitch left. Cut yarn and pull through last stitch.

The ribbing cast off is designed to enable the ridge to be more flexible  and give a little more easily than with an ordinary knitted cast off, when you are doing a ribbing pattern. It also finishes the project beautifully!

I hope that helps...

keep the faith!
Tracey

Knitting

Tracey Waller