Knitting/Knit Hat looks like a cone on top

Question

I just finshed knitting my first hat and I'm proud of it. Although the top looks like a cone and sticks out high on the top. How can I correct this or which pattern can I folloe so it's flat on top. I've been trying to find a pattern but I can't seem to find one that's easy.

Answer
About 15 or 16 rows from the top I usually knit 2 together across and then switch to a knitting needle at least 2 sizes smaller.  Knit 15 or 16 rows of 1x1 rib and then put all the raw stitches on a length of double stranded yarn, pull tight and tie securely.  

Knitting

Carol Forbes