Knitting/Knit Hat looks like a cone on top

I just finshed knitting my first hat and I'm proud of it. Although the top looks like a cone and sticks out high on the top. How can I correct this or which pattern can I folloe so it's flat on top. I've been trying to find a pattern but I can't seem to find one that's easy.

About 15 or 16 rows from the top I usually knit 2 together across and then switch to a knitting needle at least 2 sizes smaller.  Knit 15 or 16 rows of 1x1 rib and then put all the raw stitches on a length of double stranded yarn, pull tight and tie securely.  

Carol Forbes

I can answer questions about machine knitting. I am familiar with most made-in-Japan machines, main beds and ribbers. I am most familiar with Studio and Brother. I am not familiar with Passap.

I was a Studio and a Brother dealer for ten years in Wisconsin. I still knit and design every day.

none but you can see my work on my website