Knitting/Knitting Raglan front of cardigan

Question
QUESTION: Hi,  I have an old Patons Canadian Tweed pattern book 661 (i guess it has a number, i am not sure.)

The "Her Cabled Jacket" says to shape the front. On page 8 the instructions say: Continue in pattern repeating rows 41 to 50 only until front measures 10 rows less than back beginning of raglan shaping thus ending with the side facing for next row.   

What does that mean? It has a shawl collar, i look at the measuring diagram they provided but that does not help me,
I have Googled and have not found any help, are you able to explain this to me?  Thank you ......... Cynthia

ANSWER: The shaping for the shawl collar will start before the raglan decreases.

If you started your raglan decreases on row 70 (for example) then you would start to shape for the shawl collar on row 60.

QUESTION: OH!!! Thank you! (May i please ask more questions?)

So when you say row 70 are you referring to the back? By the way i have not made the Back yet will that make a difference somewhere?

So the next section says:
To shape front:
Next row: Keeping continuity of pattern, decrease 1 st at end (Front edge) of next and following 4th rows to 57 sts on needle. Work 1 row even thus ending with right side facing for next row.

To shape raglan:
Next row: Keeping continuity of pattern, cast off 3 sts Pattern to end of row.
Work one row even.  ..... ?
Next row: K1, Sl1K, K1, psso. Pattern to last 2 sts. Work 2tog.
Next row: Pattern to last 2 sts. P2.

? Decrease 1 st at raglan end on next and every alternate row, at the same time, decrease 1 st at front edge on following 4th rows from  
previous decrease ? to 40 sts on needle, then every following 6th row to 28 sts on needle.
Work 1 row even. ..... ?

? Decrease 1 st at front edge on following 6th rows from ? previous decrease, ? at same time, decrease 2 sts at raglan edge (as for Back) on next and every alternate row to 18 sts on needle.
? Decrease 2 sts at raglan edge only on every alternate row to 2 sts on needle.
Work 1 row even
Next row: work 2tog. Fasten off.

So i am to decrease the front (collar edge) and the sleeve side at the same time?
What does 'work 1 row even' mean?
Fasten off is that another way of saying cast off or bind off?
The decrease stuff has me totally confused, is it saying to do a lot of decreasing on almost every row?
So am i shaping the raglan the same time i am decreasing it? over all?
Thank you so much ....... Cynia

Answer
Row 70 does not mean anything, just a number I picked out of the air.

It would have been a good idea to start with te back but not impossible to deal with. You will be shaping the sleeve on one side of your work AND shaping the collar on the other side at the same time but at a different rate.

You will start the front neck decreases 10 rows before you start the raglan sleeve decreases. (This info about when to start the sleeve should be part of the instructions for the back)

You will be decreaseing 1 stitch every 4 rows on the side where the collar will go.

Decrease 1 stitch and knit the rest of the row and 3 more rows. (4 rows)  decrese 1 again and finish that row and 3 more rows (8 rows of the collar shaping so far) Decrease 1 stitch and knit the row.  Knit 1 more row. Now you have the 10 rows the pattern refers to and it is time to shape the sleeve.)

If you are on right side of the garment and are on the side where the arm shaping will be -- start shapping the sleeve now.  If not, knit 1 more row and then start shaping for the sleeve.

Bind off 3 stitches for the sleeve and do the rest of the row.

Do 1 row (with no decreases anywhere)

Next row: Pattern to last 2 sts. P2.

Now it gets a little tricky

Decrease 1 stitch at the raglan edge AND 1 stitch at the front edge.  Do the next row.
Decrease 1 at the raglan edge only.  Do the next row.
Decease 1 at the raglan edge AND 1 at the front edge.  Do the next row.

Keep going like this until there are 40 stitches on the needle.

Now:
Decrease 2 stitches for the sleeve Do the next row.
Decrease 2 stitches for the sleeve.  Do the next row
Decrease 2 stitches for the sleeve AND dec 1 for the collar (front)

Do this until there are 18 stitches left on your needle.

Now you are done with any more decreases on the collar side.  

Decrease 2 stitches for the sleeve only.  Do the next row.

Keep repeating these two rows until there are 2 stitches left.

Work 1 row even
Next row: work 2tog. Fasten off.  Just cut the yarn about a 5 inch tail and pull it through the loop.  

Knitting

Carol Forbes