Knitting/lace knitting shaping?

Question
Hi Carol,
I confused about shaping in lace patt. especially the stitch I do after decrease or cast off in beg, my friend sugest me to count the stitch but after read some internet explanation about lace shaping I not sure ex: (k2,yo,ssk,k2tog, yo, k2)if I cast off 3 in beg then I do ssk after cast off but in some reading it susgest to knit it as stokinet stitch.
Could you explain it with example of simple lace pattern?
thanks

Answer
I always keep the first two or three stitches and the last 2 or 3 stitches out of pattern, lace or anything else.  If I need the decrease at the beginning, I would knit 2 stitches, decrease 1 stitch, and then continue knitting in pattern.  At the end of a row I would knit in pattern to the last 4 stitches, decrease 1 stitch and knit the last 2 stitches.

I do this for ease of seaming.  

Knitting

Carol Forbes